Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone! I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 27-year-old musician and writing major that has suffered from acute social anxiety disorder since I was a small child. This is my first time joining an online forum like this. I'm here to share my own experiences and also to listen to anyone who wants to talk about their problems or successes. I want to converse with people who understand what it's like to have social anxiety disorder and learn from it. I think a website like this is great resource, and I feel it can be very therapeutic to have a place to discuss things you normally wouldn't talk about.

Let me just start off by giving you a snapshot of my background. I'm sure it's a story that you're all very familiar with. I look forward to learning a lot from this forum, gaining some new perspectives, and hopefully helping some people along the way, as well.

**** I have had debilitating and crippling SAD and GAD since grade school, now continuing on through early adulthood. I recently "self-diagnosed" myself with Avoidant Personality Disorder (AvPD) after researching my symptoms and realizing that I fit the classic profile to a tee.

I was first diagnosed with SAD during High School and was treated with a combination of CBT, Zoloft, and finally
Effexor -- all to no avail. I stopped treatment altogether when I entered college, which subsequently intensified my AvPD and general aversion to almost all social situations. Despite the fact that I was an anxious, depressed wreck through college, I somehow managed to graduate with good grades and obtain my B.A. in Writing. Incidentally, this degree has not enabled me to find long-term employment; I blame this partly on my continued occupational social anxiety and partly on the unseen uelessness of an English degree (for me anyway).:doh

Today SAD and AvPD is still a very debilitating and crippling condition for me. But I have made some major strides over the years. I am nowhere nearly as shy as I once was in grade school, but I still have severe anxiety and panic attacks which prevent me from living what I would consider a "normal" life. I have a very small group of friends whom I generally feel comfortable socializing with, but I've also lost a far greater number of friends over the years due to SAD. Romance and dating is still a daunting and overwhelming endeavor for me, but I've also made progress with this recently. I entered into a beautiful relationship for the first time in my life which lasted 7 great months and brought much happiness into my life. Unfortunately, it came to an end due to ongoing personality differences. Nevertheless, this and some other events have given me hope that I can still live a happy life with SAD. I find myself taking more small risks today, but not nearly enough for what I want to accomplish in my life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Lovesick Loner :) Welcome to SA! I'm a newbie here, too, but have already found this forum to be very helpful & full of like-minded people who understand how debilitating SA can be...

Hope you enjoy discovering all about this place, and getting to know some other people :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I too have SAD and probably AvPD since I was a munchkin. 45 years later still struggling with myself. Your right this froum is helpfull.
robb

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Stan, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Lovesick Loner :) Welcome to SA! I'm a newbie here, too, but have already found this forum to be very helpful & full of like-minded people who understand how debilitating SA can be...

Hope you enjoy discovering all about this place, and getting to know some other people :)
Most definitely true, wishiwasinvisble. It's comforting just to know there are so many other people who suffer from the same thing. I think social anxiety sufferers can easily spot each other out in public or in social gatherings because we pick up on the subtle nuances that we are so familiar with ourselves. Everyone else can be totally oblivious to our horrible anxiety, but we know the signs.

Unfortunately, we often don't talk about it because it's either too embarrassing or we don't want everyone to know our weakness, even if we believe someone else is feeling the same thing. Having a place like this is a first step to working through the issues and not feeling so alienated and solitary.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, LovesickLoner! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts