Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sure there are some guys here that watch MMA and know who Nick Diaz is. He is fighting a guy from my hometown named B.J. Penn in an upcoming bout.

Well, his trainer Cesar Gracie said Diaz has social anxiety disorder. Now people are saying that Gracie isn't a doctor so he isn't qualified to diagnose, but man... it seems to make sense now with his reluctance to show up to press conferences, to do interviews, etc...

He also has that tall, lanky, introverted build. :) Except this guy has a 10-fight win streak and fights like an extroverted psychopath in the ring.

It's just interesting that UFC and MMA is known for the extroverted bullies and jerks and here is this quieter guy who talks with his fists really well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i dont think nick diaz is a good example for sa because hes known more for messing things up and wasting talent than his considerable skills (ie getting booted out of the 137 main event, the brawl with jason miller, acting like a douche after losing to kj noons)

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont think nick diaz is a good example for sa because hes known more for messing things up and wasting talent than his considerable skills (ie getting booted out of the 137 main event, the brawl with jason miller, acting like a douche after losing to kj noons)
Yeah he acts like a douche, and he is also a douche with SA it seems. Look at his interview with Ariel Helwani...absolutely no eye contact lol.

·
Paralysis by Analysis
21 Posts
Wow now that you mention it he kinda fits the mold. I just watched a couple of his interviews and i noticed his dodgy eyes, anticipation to bolt the hell out of there or get aggressive if offended with a question. Its funny though you would think he'd be quite social with all that ish talk he does in the cage:lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
he has been suffering from sad for awhile now, the guy is fighting Penn because he skipped on a press tour because of his anxiety disorder, you guys should read up on his story, he is an interesting dude.

·
Banned
800 Posts
he looks liek he has SA in all hes interviews lol

too bad he was booted from fighting GSP, but imagine having to do all those press conferences, interviews etc with SA lol... it would be a living hell

·
Neither here nor there
798 Posts
Wasn't expecting this thread I'll say that. Its weird thats he known for his show boating and taunting in the ring. I guess since he loves MMA so much his SA just goes away when he's there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't know who he is, but celebrities can have social anxiety.
Yeah when you're doing something you love that you're good at you have no anxiety while doing it. If you're acting for example you're focused in on your craft, same with sports, millions can be watching on tv, 50,000 can be at the event, but while you're playing, you don't realize they exist, you're only thinking about the game, so you have no anxiety while playing.

·
Registered
665 Posts
He was booted out of the main event? Last I heard he was in the main event with BJ Penn after the GSP fight got scrapped.

·
Beastly Yet Intriguing
342 Posts
I remember somebody posted about this on the Sherdog forums. The ignorant comments that folled were hilarious. On a side note, though Nick is a cool guy imo, BJ is gonna whoop him.

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He probably acts like a douche to hide the fact he has SA. I've done that before.
Yeah great point. Just because someone's a douche and acts cocky and disrespectful doesn't mean they don't have SA. :)

Anyways, I love BJ but he probably isn't going to win...Nick Diaz is on a 10-0 streak so he must be doing something right.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i should probably clarify, i dont doubt diaz has sa, ive read those articles on him before as well. what i meant to say yet articulated very poorly this morning was that he wasnt a good example for people with sa, as in not a good role model of sorts for the reasons i listed previous.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
When it comes to MMA, what is normal?

Ricky Williams in football could not take off his helmet during interviews.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts