Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My religion teacher had told us last week that his wife was pregnant, and since my friend had him last semster for Driver's Ed, I figured I'd tell her. So she was all excited and after school when I'm walking to her locker I find her in his classroom, and after seeing me she comes out and says, "I congratulated him!" I laughed just because of how happy she looked and when I looked at my teacher he jokingly said, "Andrea hasn't even congratulated me." I had felt dumb at the time because I wanted to, but I just smiled when everyone else was clapping for him. My friend looked at me and went "What?! You didn't congratulate him?" and I just smiled but he looked at me with a little smile on his face and said, "that's okay, I understand." Maybe it's just me, but this was the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me in my life, especially someone I'm not too close with (i.e., a teacher) I hardly think he was referring to the fact that I have SAD with the comment since I'm not sure how familiar with it he may be, but it was just like the way he said it, he knew I was a good kid and he knew I'd love to talk to him if I could but I just couldn't. Usually when my teachers comment on my quietness they refer to it like it's a disease. "Andrea is so quiet in class!" and it just makes me feel stupid, but just hearing someone say the words 'I understand' when even my own family doesn't understand made me feel so, I don't know, understood. I've always thought he was a very perceptive man and this just confirms it. Anyway, sorry for rambling, I just wanted to share and say that there are some people who can understand us, even when they don't know the whole story :)

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
That's so true. It feels really good when those do understand. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts