Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I felt oddly talkative at the place I'm working. I think with practise I'm getting better at starting conversations (even if it's just 'small talk' that only lasts a short time). It's strange how I felt different today though, but good-strange. I'd see someone do something or someone would say something and all of a sudden I felt like I had all these things to say about it. For example, a lady I work with opened an umbrella inside and I couldn't help but say some people are superstitious about doing that (like my mum, lol). As she's from another country, she didn't know this, and so she then started telling me about the superstitious beliefs her own mother had had. It amazed me how my brief comment sparked off a conversation that actually lasted a good few minutes. Plus it's better once I've had little chats like that because I feel more comfortable around the people involved and like I could easily get chatting to them again.

One nice thing that often happens at this place is the ladies will comment on how I always wear really nice shoes (I say 'ladies' because most of them are women about 50+). I know it's a small thing, but they can make such a fuss of how I always wear different ones and they all 'suit me very well.' It makes me feel good when they seem amazed and ask me where I get them from (these are just flats too, btw). Anyway, after I've had something nice said to me, and I can tell they are being 100% genuine, it helps me feel more at ease in my surroundings. Plus it's getting to the point where I've been going there for about a month (not every day of the week though) so I'm starting to feel more comfortable around these people.

At one point one of the ladies said she could hear me talking a lot (implying it was out of character for me) and another one of them said it was good [that I was talking more than usual]. It made me think back to a thread I opened not long ago about feeling like I have to keep being quiet once I've established myself as 'the quiet one.' Well today, even after I heard that comment, I didn't care if anyone found it odd that I was talking more. I guess it helped that no one seemed annoyed by it. In fact everyone was more comfortable when I was opening up and talking to them, which makes sense. I can understand that when I'm very quiet and nervous looking it might be off-putting.

So my question to you is, do you ever have days where you suddenly feel more comfortable and able to start conversations and whatever else? Where do you think your bursts of confidence come from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, on some days I'd just be able to talk QUITE normally and openly. Usually it starts with the other person being friendly, and if i can hold a conversation with him/her for more than a minute it just kind of get flowing. This kind of builds a momentum or energy that gives me confidence talk to other people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's good news; hopefully talking will get easier for you over time. I usually feel more talkative after exercise or after doing something exciting. I also sometimes feel more talkative when waiting for something exciting to happen. But even in those situations I still usually only talk to my sibling.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ya me too I had three conversations with classmates that i never talked to before. Maby its something in the air today?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts