Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just a quickie. Does anyone else feel really crappy for at least 48 hours after being social. Kinda burned out and antsy with a racing mind. Even if nothing particularly bad happened. Just the act of being around people throws you off center.

·
Gun-Shy
55 Posts
Hi guys,

Just a quickie. Does anyone else feel really crappy for at least 48 hours after being social. Kinda burned out and antsy with a racing mind. Even if nothing particularly bad happened. Just the act of being around people throws you off center.
I do, often I'll feel drained, like it took all the energy out of me. I'm around a lot of people at work all day, so I'm usually too zapped of energy by the end of the day to go anywhere but straight home :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Hi guys,

Welcome to the site, BangTheDrum! :)

Well, it could be considered somewhat normal to have a let down. The only concern is that it lasts 48 hours? That's a long time. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have that too. I feel drained. I also go over everything I said and analyze it. I also think of things I could have added to the conversation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have that too. I feel drained. I also go over everything I said and analyze it. I also think of things I could have added to the conversation.
I do exactly the same. Things I couldve said differently, better, even sometimes doubt the tone and sound of what I said. Ugh.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I call it "post-party depression." It sucks.

·
learning...
663 Posts
That's the post-event autopsy I was talking about. It stinks. :cry
Yes, I do this, too.
Even if the social situation went reasonably well, I will often turn the events over and over in my mind in minute detail and eventually I convince myself that it didn't in fact go well at all and it was yet another failure on my part.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I took over analyze my words and actions long after an event, constantly pressing myself to think that I did something wrong or asking myself if everything I said was ok and not strange.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
I feel burn out but, not from socializing.I actually had allot of fun socializing today.I went to the bike polo world championship today just because I was curious.I forced myself to interact with others there.Their were people from every city in the US and many countries.I even got into a conversation with the German team;who knew no English at all,I struggled to perfectly understand them because they speak German much faster then me and some of their words sounded like other words but,it was nice to teach them some English,even they felt as awkward as me.Me because of SA,them because of not knowing any English.Now the big part of my day,---I meet a very cute girl there who plays the sport and she explained to me the rules,and all the different places she been to playing bike polo.Anyway,she is here for another week and asked me to take her around to see the sites;so I'm officially going on a date.Everyone cross their fingers for me that things work out.She lives in LA so,I don't think their is any possibility of any long term relationship.I will be meeting her again tomorrow for day two of the championship.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,035 Posts
Yes, I feel drained, and then I get into the post-event autopsy and do that for hours to a day or two and that keeps me feeling drained for a few days to a week. Anxiety is lame! :roll
I do this as well, the post socializing critique. Regardless of whether things go well putting that much mental energy into controlling physical symptoms while engaging people takes a lot out a of you. And then the post socializing critique compounds that feeling of drain, it's a vicious cycle indeed

·
Registered
106 Posts
I feel bad about it occasionally. If I feel that I even did something just slightly stupid, I get mad at myself. I eventually forget about it after obsessing over it a while.
I'm mostly kind of happy after social situations though. That does make me want to be more social and hang out with people more.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I usually feel bad after socializing, too. I feel like either a sell-out (because I've had to change myself a bit to be socially acceptable) or an awkward, frigging weirdo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Typically, I mope about regretting everything I said or didn't say and beat myself up over it. Even if nothing happened and it went fine.

·
alien monk
8,456 Posts
Yeah I get really drained and tired too. After talking to people for a while I usually just feel like sleeping.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I have a group of friends who like to play games for hours. After a few hours, I'm ready to go, but I stay. I am no good as a game player at this point. I daydream, I can't follow the conversation, I finally get to a point where I say, "ok. I need a break from all this socializing" and I say my goodbyes. My friends are fine with that.

After a social outing I come home and hide and sleep and try to recover.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
It's because my anxiety makes my brain work twice as hard so i end up exhausted. being social comes naturally to other people but with social anxiety it's so difficult.

·
Registered
119 Posts
After most interaction I go over everything, assume what others may have thought etc... Good or bad the circular after thought process is a real downer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Socializing is like exercising, exhausting.

You are exercising your mind in this case, kinda. Since as SA-sufferer you want to check every single detail of what you are doing and make sure it doesn't turn you into an idiot/or w/e. That adds up after some time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts