Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though, I am 21 years old...I still feel like and seem to be stuck in this bubble that I was in when I was 16 years old. I'm not immature by any means...I can carry on an intelligent conversation with anyone. When my anxiety got really bad which was at 16-17 years old....I pretty much didn't socialize or anything and was pretty much invisible at school. So I wasn't able to experience a lot of things that people my age have got to experience because the last 5 years of my life have been pretty much taken over by my anxiety. I feel like I'm behind those who are my age. People who I graduated with are in their last year of college, already have children, or are married/ engaged, etc. I haven't experienced any of that and I've spent a large majority of my life since high school too scared to leave the house. So in a way, I feel like a 16 year old who is trapped in a 21 years old body because in a lot of ways I still haven't experienced a lot of thngs that most people get to experience while they are in high school. Anybody else feel that way?

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I can totally relate to this. I myself never even went to high school and spent my adolescence totally isolated from the world. It wasn't until this year (2011) that I got pushed back into the world by starting college and now I often feel awkward and embarrassed when I see people 2-3 years younger than me with more academic/real world experience than me.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I feel exactly that way. It doesn't quite seem real that people who I went to school with now have kids. I haven't done enough, compiled enough memories, to convince myself of the fact that I'm 21. I'm also a couple of years behind where I should be at college which makes me feel even worse.

Its funny how so many people on this site have this problem. I've seen loads of threads about people worried about getting older and worrying about lost time; I even started my own thread about it here. I think a club should be started for people who can't deal with being the age they are lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm younger so not as much, but I still feel like that sometimes. School discos for example. Everyone else went to their first one like over a year ago, I know nothing about them (even though I'd love to go, sounds so fun) and boys. I've never even been friends with one. :roll

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I can totally relate. I'm like, 20 but I still feel around 14-16...The other day, one of my professors called me "ma'am" and I felt so weird at that point...Like legally I'm a grown-up, but I know I'm not as mature as most people might assume I am...I haven't experienced most of the stuff that people do in high school so I feel like I'm stuck at that level, at least socially. There are some days when I even feel about 12, which can suck...I feel like most people my age would think I'm weird because of this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya know, at 21 I wouldn't worry about feeling like you are still 16/17, it wasn't really that loong ago that you were. And many ppl remember feeling that way when they were the same age. You have plenty of time to catch up.

And if you are a bit behind in college, its really nobody's business. You have to learn how to fake it until you make it. You can easily just say that you couldn't afford college or chose not to attend right after high school which is why you have a bit of a late start. Plenty of ppl are going back to school at later ages now or choosing second careers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Even though, I am 21 years old...I still feel like and seem to be stuck in this bubble that I was in when I was 16 years old. I'm not immature by any means...I can carry on an intelligent conversation with anyone. When my anxiety got really bad which was at 16-17 years old....I pretty much didn't socialize or anything and was pretty much invisible at school. So I wasn't able to experience a lot of things that people my age have got to experience because the last 5 years of my life have been pretty much taken over by my anxiety. I feel like I'm behind those who are my age. People who I graduated with are in their last year of college, already have children, or are married/ engaged, etc. I haven't experienced any of that and I've spent a large majority of my life since high school too scared to leave the house. So in a way, I feel like a 16 year old who is trapped in a 21 years old body because in a lot of ways I still haven't experienced a lot of thngs that most people get to experience while they are in high school. Anybody else feel that way?
I could have written this myself, pretty much word for word :/.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Me too. I've done everything later than most people and feel like I'm always playing catch up. I didn't lose my virginity until I was 18, got my first job at 19 and passed my driving test at 19 also. I've lost count of the times people have asked me "when are you gonna....." followed by whatever thing it is I'm supposed to have done already by my age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts