Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My motto, just do it, you will be glad you did. I see this girl at the gym. She is big and all i have for her is great admiration. It does take gutz. I plucked up the courage to talk to her, cause she looks a little bewildered and bored and she was so happy to have a small chat, we ended talking about me seeing her walking her dog along the main street. I know what its like to have no one talk to you, so I didnt want her feeling that way. I think I lightened her hour a bit.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does anyone, else feel like this i feel as though when i exercise, people are looking at me and going ugh dont bother like there is not point just nervous, about hitting the gym is all.
wow those guys are *******s. For anyone who's got up and said you know what, I'm going to workout and get strong, I applaud your resolve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel like that anytime I do anything in public lol. If your trying to lose weight don't forget a good diet. I've recently lost about 40# from diet alone, no exercise.

1,934 Posts
I would think of it as too fat NOT to exercise. Obesity is dangerous...you MUST get it off. I myself have 50 lbs to lose. Am I embarrassed by my body? Of course. Will that stop me from taking a necessary step to become healthy? No.

·
We Found Love
4,685 Posts
If you feel like that, just watch The Biggest Loser.

·
Banned
360 Posts
Just remember that small things often count as much if not more than the big things you are trying to do, like going to the gym. By small things I mean getting into the habit of taking the stairs, walking instead of taking the bus/car, or just going for a walk instead of going for a run. You burn as much calories when you walk a certain distance as when you run the same distance. The difference is; your cardiovascular system benefits when you do the latter. If going to the gym is making you too uncomfortable, there are other ways to exercise like I mentioned. You can always come back to the gym when you're more ready.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Forget them! Good for you for going to the gym. Take headphones to ignore everyone else. If there are days you are feeling worse than others then go for a run instead. Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hugs my friend, I feel for you. I sort of felt a bit like that when I went to my hospital gym. It is an awful feeling. There was like only 10 people tops. Even still.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think you have it backwards, mate.
When people see overweight ppl in the gym, most ppl think' Wow, so good that they are working on improving their health' or 'Despite all the extra weight which makes it pshyically harder to work out, they are still here in the gym'.
Those strangers, if they are in fact looking at you, are glancing at you for positive reasons.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When people see overweight ppl in the gym, most ppl think' Wow, so good that they are working on improving their health' or 'Despite all the extra weight which makes it pshyically harder to work out, they are still here in the gym'.
Those strangers, if they are in fact looking at you, are glancing at you for positive reasons.
Totally agree. I actually respect people who commit themselves to exercising to bring down their weight. Do not get discouraged by people who look at you. However if you are truly finding it difficult to hit the gym, you could do simple exercises at home too, walking up and down the stairs, or brisk walking around the house, make sure you break a sweat. Start small and then increase the intensity of your exercises. I was overweight before, and that's how I started, by exercising at home. Don't give up! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel the same way you do. I figured out a way around it though. I only go to the gym (in my community complex) at 6am when they first open. Then I go swimming at night right before they close the pool at about 10pm. It takes a lot of planning but I have over 100-150lbs to lose. I'm trying the best I can to do it without feeling uncomfortable because my SA gets really bad in the gym. Maybe stake out the gym and see when it looks like less people go?
Good luck by the way and I hope everything works out,
Mella

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I'm lucky. I enjoy working out.

Most people are self-conscious. If anything, overweight people have more of a reason to workout than most.

·
Registered
665 Posts
^This.

The first thought I have when I see an overweight person exercising is: "Good for them, taking control and making an effort to improve their health."

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
When people see overweight ppl in the gym, most ppl think' Wow, so good that they are working on improving their health' or 'Despite all the extra weight which makes it physically harder to work out, they are still here in the gym'.
:yes

Although there are other ways to exercise and lose weight outside of a gym.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts