Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I think on a higher level than everyone. They're too busy with their small everyday life problems and I'm stuck thinking of lifelong problems like will I ever find someone to love? Or is life even worth living? Why do I think of this person hurting me 10 years into the future while they are thinking if they should order salad or soup for their appetizer? Idk if I'm even making sense right now but I'm so confused :/

I guess just want to say I kind of feel guilty for thinking I'm smarter than everyone all the time. I just want to fit in and feel the things they do :(

Does anyone have any clue of what I'm talking about right now?

·
A Tenenbaum
147 Posts
You are making sense.

Everyone looks at things in their own way. I get wanting to fit in, but you also have to understand who you are and try to embrace it to an extent. That doesn't mean you can't make some adjustments but trying to change who you are just for the sake of fitting in isn't the answer.

In regards to the actual things you said, I think that is just the product of your experiences so far and how you think. Some people naturally are more big picture oriented than others. When you couple that with certain life experiences, that often results in someone who is very focused on those types of things.

I think you should remind yourself that you are not necessarily smarter but just a different type of smart. I often feel the same way you do because I am very observant. I generally feel like I am paying the most attention to every detail in every situation I am in. I don't think that makes me smarter. Just observant.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I feel like I think on a higher level than everyone. They're too busy with their small everyday life problems and I'm stuck thinking of lifelong problems like will I ever find someone to love? Or is life even worth living? Why do I think of this person hurting me 10 years into the future while they are thinking if they should order salad or soup for their appetizer? Idk if I'm even making sense right now but I'm so confused :/

I guess just want to say I kind of feel guilty for thinking I'm smarter than everyone all the time. I just want to fit in and feel the things they do :(

Does anyone have any clue of what I'm talking about right now?
I've felt this way (not smarter though), but you have to remember that everyone has their own set of problems. Don't compare yourself to others, it's a downward spiral. You're almost guaranteed to get sucked into it if you keep wondering why you're so different from everyone else. You're unique, and that should be enough. Don't give up the fight, buddy.

·
Addicted to sleep...
101 Posts
I'm feeling this way, you have a point here but most of the people are like that.

In my case , I consider most of the people "Brainwashed", because all they do is talk about reality shows, music and TV.. The regular stuff.

They just don't know yet what is really important, while you do.

Anyways. That's how most of the people are, if you want it or not. :L

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should take a philosophy class or find a meetup group focused on one of the bigger questions of life.

One thing I've learned through experience - seek out the people that you can relate to. If you had a square peg, how many times would you try to put it into a round hole before moving on?

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
If you think that way, you're an arrogant dumb****. Besides, intelligence is only a third of the equation. The other two parts are....

Creativity

And action.

Only after you can combine those three do you have bragging rights.

As for myself, I like to think there are people smarter than me. Because it gives me an aim to learn their skills and become better than them.

... Besides, are you really going to say you are smarter than everybody?

Tao exhibited extraordinary mathematical abilities from an early age, attending university level mathematics courses at the age of nine. He is one of only two children (besides Lenhard Ng) in the history of the Johns Hopkins' Study of Exceptional Talent program to have achieved a score of 700 or greater on the SAT math section while just 8 years old (he scored a 760). [5] In 1986, 1987, and 1988, Tao was the youngest participant to date in the International Mathematical Olympiad, first competing at the age of ten, winning a bronze, silver, and gold medal respectively. He remains the youngest winner of each of the three medals in the Olympiad's history, winning the gold medal shortly after his thirteenth birthday. At age 14, Tao attended the Research Science Institute. When he was 15 he published his first assistant paper. He received his bachelor's and master's degrees (at the age of 16) from Flinders University under Garth Gaudry. In 1992 he won a Fulbright Scholarship to undertake postgraduate study in the United States. From 1992 to 1996, Tao was a graduate student at Princeton University under the direction of Elias Stein, receiving his Ph.D. at the age of 21. [6] He joined the faculty of the University of California, Los Angeles in 1996. When he was 24, he was promoted to full professor at UCLA and remains the youngest person ever appointed to that rank by the institution.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrence_tao

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Im wondering if maybe it isn't that you think you are smarter but that you think you think differently than most people and so you have a hard time relating because you think no one understands you...

·
Registered
21 Posts
i agree with what others have said above, that's not smart but thinking differently and maybe too much?
still, you don't need to feel guilty for it or try so hard to fit in.
since i think too much as well i get all depressed because of it but then again i think it's needed.
i wouldn't be able to live so carefree like some others do.
be yourself!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts