Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I never imagined this would happen to me.. from a young age I always knew I'd want to be a manga artist and animator.... until reality hit. The reality of the actul work schedule of a manga artist and when I saw it ..I felt like it would ensure that I'd lead a lonely life.

While art is still my passion and something I want to pursue.... Im still crossed. Tuition for SCAD (art school) is expensive..my brother has still has out standing loans from AI and can't go back... and I worry that if I knuckle down and pursue art ... not only will I have money I'll owe, but I may not get picked up right away, and I may struggle for some time (and that scares me greatly)
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
My mom is the only one who works in my house..well my brother does but he is trying to get himself together so he doesn't help much, my dad..uhg just talks abt his pipedream of truck driving whilst doing nothing to actually materialize this... but I was able to help my mom out a bit w/ the loan I took out ...and Ultimately.. I just want to be able to take that pressure off her b/c financially she's alone.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Lastly, I feel a bit lost b/c Ive been thinking... so what if I do become an animator, a famous animator worldwide.... Id still like to enjoy life, w/ the heavy sched of an animator/mangaka it would ensure I wouldn't, and the life I'e lead has already been a lonely one (no parties,friends,ect)

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

It just means little if I can't share success with anyone..and Im just afraid that when I get into the animation field that I may not make friends...that I'll be alone Like I am now........ I just don't now what would make me happy: I feel like theirs a hole missing; I have god so its not him lol, my family...in pieces ... I feel bc I was never able to connect with others and form friendships..it won't matter what I'd do Id still feel empty-ish.

I know you guys don't have all the answers or even an answer for this particular situation,but I needed to air this problem of mine...Also I thought abt doing nursing or maybe being an art teacher till my career takes off..but watching my mom while she's in nursing just shows how rigorous it is...and when my mom went to the hospital(her health is kinda deteriorating *another stressor/motivator* the nurse I was talking to told me abt the various smells Id have to endure like Cdif ect.... and idk abt teaching art, when I look at my art teacher ,I just don't think I could do his job..im not into all the different branches of art..just one...... but then, there's always a secretary job.

So yah, I really am in limbo ..Im just glad I have core classes b/c I have no idea,no clue what to do.

Registered
I'm sad to see no one has replied to this yet. But likewise I'm not sure I can give you any useful advice.

It can be really hard to balance dreams and financial stability. If either career as a mangaka or animator are something you don't think you would enjoy, it may be best to look elsewhere. You can always do it as a hobby if you're not interested in the ridiculous hours every week. Maybe take a couple years off from college if you need to, to find out what career would make you the happiest.

Unfortunately I did go through college not completely sure of what I wanted. Although I don't dislike the field I got a degree in, I think I'm also afraid of a career that eats up my life. There's something else I truly want to do, but I have no faith in it bringing any income.

So I'm afraid the only thing I can tell you is good luck.

SAS Master
Yeah, pretty much the same, good luck.

I have always been very artistic with painting, drawing, and playing guitar but was pushed away from pursuing that by my parents. I majored in life science because that was supposed to be more practical, but couldn't find a job with that, so I went back for an associates degree and then went through a long stretch of still not being able to find a job. The job I did get is in a science field, but nothing I would have ever thought about beforehand. My point is, I guess, that life doesn't move in a straight line, so much. You can make plans and pursue things and may still end up doing something very different than what you intended.

Also, most jobs suck, like you've realized can be the case with manga and nursing. It takes adapting to, because a regular work hours are so much more draining than a usual college schedule (longer and more compact hours). Maybe the thing to do is try to be happy no matter what your situation and that can mean medication. All through college and starting work I felt that my depression was situational, but it has improved with medication over the last year or so, so maybe it was more chemical and less situational than I thought...

Registered
You might look into art therapy. It requires a lot of schooling and not the best starting pay in most cases but it is similar to both teaching art and nursing and might be more stable than a career as an artist.

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, Im going to my mentor on friday to sign up for summer classes and Im defintely going to run this problem by her to see if she can offer advice as well. thanks all... and I do agree, life does not move in a straight forward line ..theres lots of bumps and turns along the way.

Angst Abolition
what if you taught people to draw manga? Under-privileged people who don't have the money to go to art school or something? Just another random dream. So you would have to learn about non-profit organizations and stuff, but you would get to know people, and the people involved with you would probably be the kind of people you would get along with. People that understand needs and humanity and such.

It's of course another far-fetched idea, but what isn't in the land of dreams?

Here's a question for you...

Do you feel like you need a career in animation, or time on your own to creatively express yourself through manga?

what if you don't need a full fledged career? Think about all the different possible opportunities out there. Short film-making, for example.

Registered
I'm taking art courses and looking to get into design and architecture. I used to want to be an animator and concept artist, working on special effects or animation films. That sort of stuff always amazed me as a kid, and being able to do that as an adult would be a dream come true haha. But I ended up finding my niche after taking other courses in design.

But I know how you feel... being financially strained, not being sure on what you want to do career wise. Do you follow your dreams? Do you keep art as a hobby and find a more stable job to help provide for the family? The truth is no one knows the answer. You could work in the creative industry and still make money, but you're right. The hours are long and you have to put a lot of work in building up your portfolio, networking, and putting yourself out there.

It's competitive, but if you're dedicated, you can do it. It won't be easy all the way, you'll get rejections but the more you apply for places, the more likely you'll get accepted. At the same time you can look to work in a more stable field, something that's more likely to put money in your pocket. But at the same time, any career you choose will be hard work. Being a teacher means looking after students, making sure they're getting a proper education, maintaining your classroom, etc. Being a nurse means dealing with sick patients all day, long hours, etc.

Think about what you want for the future. Stability? Creative expression? A mix of both? I think the best is to actually talk to people in these fields you're looking to explore, maybe shadow them for a day or something. Talk to career counselors, do more research on what it takes, etc.

Banned
I'm really mind-blown by this thread because it's the same situation as me in so many ways, including financial problems and only one parent works so tuition for those art schools alone, including SCAD, really scares me away from it. I'm going to community college taking BS classes while ultimately deciding if I want to go to art school for animation. And then manga, of course, is also my favorite thing to draw above all else.

I think it's really good that you've thought of other things you want to do. For nursing, I know in the US (not sure where you're from though) I *think* nursing is becoming more competitive and the schooling will also be difficult and expensive. If you come out of nursing you may decide it won't be worth going the art route anymore. For teacher, I'm not entirely sure... however, it sounds good because at least you'll still be in the field you love, and not knowing other art subjects... don't worry about that, you'll learn it. You can use those years to continue developing your manga skills so one day you can be a mangaka. I wish I could be more helpful, sorry. :( It is very difficult to make a decision regarding expensive tuition and choosing a risky major. To go through with something like this, I think you have to be very, very sure you want to do it. If you're having these doubts, just think it through some more.

My question for you is, were you in SCAD previously? If so I was wondering if you could please tell me what it's like. :) I was looking at that school and I'd really like to know, does it really teach you a lot? Is it worth it? I feel like art school is a gamble. I'm so scared to just throw money and loans at an art school, assuming I'd get into one. I feel like choosing the wrong art school my first semester would be crucial in my decision to continue going to one.

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey anime freak.. im glad someone is sorta in my shoes.. and to answer your question no I wasn't..but my brother went to the art institute..but bc he couldn't afford tuition..he couldnt go back..so he's been out for some years lol...

And ive thought abt being an art teacher but ike I said above..i really can't see myself grading papers and when I see my art teacher doing his job it just confirms to me that I just dont want to do it..lol... he teaches abt art history and things like that : P and im just interested in anime..and drawing manga..so idk how this'll go..just hope my life turns out ok

happy i dodged a bullet
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and i am in the us... and i havent heard abt nursing becoming competeitive, theyre one of the recession proff jobs lol.. seeing as everyone gets sick.. but the nursing courses are rigourous ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts