Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm walking in public, I always feel like I'm making the weirdest, most awkward faces. I don't know where to look, and sometimes I feel so nervous I can't control myself. I feel like I give off a very awkward / creepy vibe, then I feel really depressed. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every time I leave my house I experience this.... I sometimes wish there was a mirror behind people that I'm looking/talking at so I can see my facial expressions, otherwise I feel like I'm going to make a stupid *** face.

·
c'est moi
5,889 Posts
Yup. I actually do make weird faces, because people tell me so. I've done that since I was born though.

I feel like I give off the creepy vibe too. Have problems with eye contact since about four years ago. Been pulling myself back into people's eyes (haven't mastered it 100%) and getting less creeped out responses.

Anyway, nope, you're not alone in this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me it's the way I walk. I become massively conscious of the way I am walking in public, which just makes me walk unnaturally and awkwardly. People have commented on it before...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes, I feel like I stick out in a bad way whenever I'm in public. I tend to wear a perpetual scowl in order to avoid looking afraid or weird.

·
Aimless
710 Posts
All the time. I feel like my very presence bothers people. And it's totally a self-fulfilling prophecy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Me as well. I feel like I am walking in the weirdest manner and everyone is gawking at me. When in reality, no one cares and that is what I try to tell myself when I have to walk out in public.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I give off a disgusted look on my face when I look at other people. So they are mean to me in return. My facial muscles just tense up when I'm nervous. It sucks. I think that's why a lot of people are not nice to me.

·
God of Reproduction
112 Posts
I actually get shocked whenever people don't treat me like I'm a disgusting nerd cuz I always expect them to
someone okay with being in a group with me makes my day

·
Registered
8 Posts
I feel weird in public because random people (like salespeople and stuff) ask questions like "what's wrong?" and tell me to smile when there's nothing wrong, because my neutral face just so happens to look like I want to commit a mass murder. Maybe this is why I am deemed "unapproachable" and "mean-looking".

f*** genetics.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith.
216 Posts
When I'm walking in public, I always feel like I'm making the weirdest, most awkward faces. I don't know where to look, and sometimes I feel so nervous I can't control myself. I feel like I give off a very awkward / creepy vibe, then I feel really depressed. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?
You're not alone in feeling that way but the faces I can't relate to that. The most awkward I feel is when i'm in the mall by myself and it feels everybody is looking at me and judging me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes when I am nervous, I am either really sulky or grouchy. Or people will say sorry to me as if they have offended me!

I try to smile whenever I can. But it's hard. I guess people are more concerned about how they look to you, then you are to them too. Just tell yourself that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For me its pretty much everything. My clothes, my hair, where my eyes are, my posture, my facial expressions, especially anything I say, you name it I feel weird, awkward, creepy, embarrassed, uncomfortable, and ashamed about it. It's bad enough that any time I'm out I have to fight the urge not to constantly look all around for other people & places to hide/run away because I feel all of this about myself & think anyone that sees me is going to feel the same way about me and say/do sonething to express that.

It almost goes without saying with as many posts as there are ahead of mine, but you're far from alone.

·
~
107 Posts
ugh i hate it because i feel like i'm not good enough like my hair looks weird, i'm not wearing appealing clothes or they don't match.. i also have a very competitive personality which makes it so much worse because if i see somebody near me walking i HAVE to beat them to wherever it is we're both going and it's so frustrating because when i finally walk past them (which i do or i get stressed out for "losing") all i can think of is "is it obvious i did that just to get past them" as well as me beginning to walk odd and it's so hard because as much as i tell myself to stop trying to walk faster than other people i just can't do it i've always been that way
it's why i always hate walking with other people because i walk too fast and they notice it and say "why are you walking so fast" and it just makes everything awkward because it's like i was trying to get away or something

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah, I make weird faces too. I look at the ground so I wouldn't have to look at people or for them to see my ugly face.

·
uggla
10,068 Posts
Me too. I feel like everyone is looking at me like I'm Quasimodo who just saw light for the first time(especially when I've been isolated for a long amount of time without seeing anyone). I often change sides of the street if someone is walking towards me or look down/away to avoid eye contact if we pass each other. I often become very aware of how I walk(especially if I'm wearing heels) and I start walking even weirder and forget how I normally walk. If someone laughs, I instinctively suspect that they're laughing at me(but then I reason with myself in my head).

When I'm standing around, I don't know what to do with my arms. If I'm sitting, I'm constantly changing position. If I have a napkin in front of me, it will get ripped into tiny pieces. I'm never comfortable in my own body and the thought of other people's eyes on me makes me uncomfortable. Some days are worse than others. I don't think that other people notice it, usually.

·
girl
386 Posts
yeah cause like when i think i'm smiling i can like look at my reflection and i can look like a murderer omfg i swear i feel like i'm doing something completely different to what i'm actually doing sometimes and it makes me feel awkward dno

·
Registered
464 Posts
I feel like I'm supposed to be presenting myself in a certain sophisticated and capable way but I can't help being conscious of my weird child face, oddly fitting clothes and lazy grooming

1 - 19 of 19 Posts