Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been at my job since September. Nearly 10 months now. Part of my job involves making phone calls and sometimes answering. They want me to answer the phones all the time at some point. I can't get over the fear. I feel absolutely terrified inside. I even had to sit on a switch board for 2 hours a week in the hope it would make me more confident. I don't know how many phone calls I've done now, loads - so it really isn't a case of "you'll get used to it".

I've tried medication, and that doesn't help either. My manager is getting more annoyed with me, I can tell. I try not to show my fear, but it's always there.

Does anyone know how they can get over the fear? The anxiety inside is killing me. I don't know how I'll be able to stay in my job if the phone calls start going through mine too (at the minute they don't, only direct dial calls)

Please help!

·
Banned
422 Posts
I've been in the same situation. About all I can tell you is that over the years it's gotten easier. I still get anxious on conference calls and talking to customers but it's not as bad as it used to be. My advice is to just do it. Adopt the attitude that you'll keep coming back and trying your best until it eventually gets easier or they fire you. Working with a therapist or practicing some CBT on your own might help as well.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I had the same issue in the past. It's the only thing I truly got rid of. But I still have the tendency to either avoid phone calls or make them really short.

I didn't think I could get rid of it either when I was in my early twenties. But I did. And you can too.

I don't have real advice and I know it sucks just reading people say: "Just do it." Still thought I could join in on the moral support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts