Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok...I looked this up (phagophobia) and there isn't much info on it. It's only when I'm stressed. I know I can swallow just fine but I think that the possible humiliation of temporarily choking in front of people keeps me unable to do this involuntary reaction. Now it's voluntary!

It's completely anxiety related but there are so many situations it destroys like going out to eat or even flying on a plane. I'm new here, so I'm embarrassed to go into great detail about the flying...trust me; it's weird.

Am I alone here?

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
It is purely anxiety. When anxiety is up, any number of fears can also arise.

·
We Found Love
4,685 Posts
I've had this for a few years now. It's mainly with liquid though. I'll hold it in my mouth for a few seconds until I'm confident I won't choke on it.

·
Paranoid Freak
413 Posts
I suffer from this in public places. Especially when someone sits next or across to me. I equate swallowing in those type of situations to showing weakness and fear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sometimes I'm ok but when I'm in a stressful period in my life, in a social situation, or hear loud noises, I have a very hard time swallowing food. Thankfully I haven't had a problem drinking but not being able to eat properly is really causing me some problems.

Its totally my own anxiety and I'll just sit there an chew like 20 times before swallowing a small bite with lots of water. I sometimes feel better if I make myself swallow a big pill (fish oil) before eating to show myself that I can swallow.

Oh and I cannot sit on the inside side of a booth. I have to be able to standup quickly.

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
I had trouble swallowing from I was 18 till about 21 years old. At this time I was at my most anxious and guarded level, and I don't doubt one bit that it has much to do with this. Now it sometimes never occur to me, other times when I'm extra stressed I find it quiet a bit difficult to really swallow my food at any acceptable pace. I seem to chew forever, but it won't really glide Down my throat..

·
Social Zoner IRL
511 Posts
I wouldn't say I have a fear, but I get self conscious drinking at work. It's really quite, and if I'm really thirsty, my throat makes really loud swallowing/gulping noises. It doesn't help that I drink a lot too. :( Also when i'm thristy, I notice I swallow a lot, which is also a source of self consciousness. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had this issue for a year or so when i was 12. It was the first time that i had to deal with anxiety related issues. Sometimes it returns for a while. i try to keep it at bay though. Just got to be rational and take a deep breath

·
Banned
12,867 Posts
yes this happens me when im eating at a table with say a group off people, I hate eating in other peoples house's because off it,and lunch at work, I try to hide it but I just eat as little as possible in these situations, but then if I refuse food in someone else's house there probly think I don't like them or something..i always struggled with this,not quite as bad now as it was 10 years ago

·
Pillock
881 Posts
Yeah I have occasional bouts of this, especially when eating beef as I almost choked on a bit when I was younger. I feel I almost have to chew my food until it becomes so mushed it's almost liquid. Then for some reason I get over it, I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't start looking up every fear you may have. Believe me, you'll find out that you have all of them. That's just a result of anxiety; I have that fear too. Best thing to do is NOT give it a label because that would scare you even more.

·
computer says no
605 Posts
Your over thinking the situation and you have fear of public rejection or embarrassment. What really changed my view of life is how few ****s people give about the other person. People are so self absorbed it wont matter what you can do in public they just wont care. I once went to mc donnals and took off my pants and ordered wearing underwear / shirt to test to myself that i could - i was kicked out :\ because i also took off my shoes
no shirt no shoes no service fml

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.