Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is fear of rejection for a socially anxious person the same for an average normal person?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I doubt it.

Also, it might not be helpful to compare people's situation because when it comes down to it, we handle the fear in us, and it doesn't matter if an activity is easier for others.

Indeed, I do comparisons to others from time to time, but we can also remind ourselves that our energy is better spent on pursuing what we value, like say social connection, rather than analyzing who has it easier.

What is your opinion to the question?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think fear is an epidemic in our society its kind of funny how we may think of something and it doesn't turn out as bad as we thought

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I think it's definitely more for a SA person. I've been fearful of rejection and still am somewhat fearful of rejection because I've been rejected by people in the past. So, yeah, if I didn't have any of those problems I don't think I'd be worried about the same things.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hard to say... I think it varies from person to person. Some people with anxiety of some kind can fear rejection a huge amount too.

But overall I think people with anxiety fear it more

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Depends on how each particular persons SA manifests itself. For me it would be worse simply because my SA stems from poor self image and self esteem and thus being rejected would trigger thoughts relating to being too ugly or unattractive and thus spike my anxiety in the process.

·
Just Me
82 Posts
I think it's a lot worse for someone with SA. To me the idea of rejection is terrifying, and it would for sure make my self-esteem take a huge dip.

·
Registered
392 Posts
no way for most people with SA fear of rejection is 10 times worst than that of a normal person, just look at the variety of posts on issues with dating.

·
alien monk
8,703 Posts
Personally, I think my fear of rejection itself is roughly the same as an average person's.

How I deal with it and its effects are what is sometimes different.

The way I see it is that its the same fear, just repeated over and over by triggers within a short preiod, which most people don't experience. My fear can bring anxiety which can trigger more fear because I fear the symptoms of anxiety will make people reject me. BUT if I set my mind to the correct stance, then this will not trigger more fear and I will be just like anyone else. I think its important to see that there isn't a fundmental difference between me and others, its a certain mental attitude, which is CHANGEABLE which is the cause of my troubles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts