Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Recluse
835 Posts
You aren't the only one. I have a fear of sudden loud noises, like hearing a balloon burst or whatever, they scare me far more than most people.

·
Registered
582 Posts
sudden or loud noises can cause my anxiety to flare up and i can sometimes get panicked and need to escape.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had phobia to ALL kinds of explosions since the very moment I got conscience of myself, and that phobia has conditioned my life in ways that can only be undertood by persons that suffered from the same problem.
I am a member of a group of ligyrophobics who form an internet community called APARTE in which participate 180 people from different Spanish-speaking countries. In this forum we talk about our experiences, our attemps to be cured, and discuss a project of creating a legal association in Spain.
In order to share experiences, we are very interested in direct contact with people from other parts of the world, affected by this same kind of phobia. I would be very pleased to inform the other members of my community about me being succesfull in this purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a fear of sudden loud noises. It makes my anxiety kick in and can sometimes cause me to have panic attacks. Its one of the reasons i now avoid going outside

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Noise can hurt you. I have sensitive hearing and loud noises hurt. It's not a phobia though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This Fear is destroying my life

I have had a fear of sudden loud noises since I was little and it seems to get worse with time. Fireworks and thunderstorm are the worst for me. I have almost crashed my car when a flash of lightning appears because of the anxiety of knowing thunder would follow. I can no longer go to the movies (which I used to love) because of how loud and realistic the sounds of guns and thunder have become. Except for my immediate family, I have managed to keep this fear hidden from everyone (which makes it 100x worse trying to hide it). I have lots of friends and a great social life, but I have to make excuses for why I won't go see fireworks or go to places where I know there is potential for loud noises. I love music and going to concerts doesn't bother me, but every single time I go to one I have so much anxiety wondering if they will use pyrotechnics (this goes for plays as well). Although I date frequently, I always find an excuse to not be in a relationship because this fear is too embarrassing for me to bear. Sometimes it is almost too much to deal with...why did I get dealt such a horrible hand? Why couldn't I have a fear that you can avoid, like snakes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this better? It makes me feel like a worthless human being. I hate summer because of the constant threat of storms and neighbors shooting fireworks. I just want to be normal!

·
Nowhere Man
823 Posts
You are not the only one. I also dislike loud noises and always had, since i was a kid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Above all I hate horns, car/truck/train/ship though any sudden loud noise makes me jump. I believe I've always been like that but constant anxiety caused by SA has made it worse. It's a bit better now as my SA has improved from how bad it was three years ago.

·
Banned
4,253 Posts
*bang*

·
I'm Back...
562 Posts
I've become easily startled as the years have passed. I jump at things and sounds I think I hear, of people coming in the room, of shadows, dark spots and of course noises. I also suffer from shy bladder syndrome and attempting to use the bathroom when like a vacuum, washer, movie or music are playing, anyone is around or anything loud and noisy just a short distance away makes it very difficult.

I have challenged myself and managed to go a few times with loud noises and machinery going, but if I'm already having an anxiety attack forget it. My bladder muscles tense and tighten so much I'll be forced to hold for hours until comfortable.

I remember having to take a pee test before my heart surgery and the doctors and aids were bewildered and even became furious as it took me 6 hours-I kid you not!-to finally pee and I was in such misery and pain before, during and after for holding so long. I think the longest was 10 hours when I went on a trip with family to an amusement park. For some reason the term "what goes in, must come out" doesn't properly work for me. *shrugs*

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't like them if the sources are many and undiscernable, that's why i often become a bit vacant looking and disorientated in group settings. It's not so much loud noise and many different noises that make me go funny. I like thunder and don't dislike any noise really as long as i know where the hell it's coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto

I too have an extreme fear of loud noises. I've had it all my life that I can remember. I don't even like talking about it, or saying certain words because it makes my heart race. Until I found this forum I thought I was alone with this fear. I just wish I could be like a normal person and enjoy certain things. It's awful, especially this time of the year. I've been reading online about some treatments. Has anyone has any success? I tried desensitization therapy years ago, but it wasn't very successful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto

I have had a fear of sudden loud noises since I was little and it seems to get worse with time. Fireworks and thunderstorm are the worst for me. I have almost crashed my car when a flash of lightning appears because of the anxiety of knowing thunder would follow. I can no longer go to the movies (which I used to love) because of how loud and realistic the sounds of guns and thunder have become. Except for my immediate family, I have managed to keep this fear hidden from everyone (which makes it 100x worse trying to hide it). I have lots of friends and a great social life, but I have to make excuses for why I won't go see fireworks or go to places where I know there is potential for loud noises. I love music and going to concerts doesn't bother me, but every single time I go to one I have so much anxiety wondering if they will use pyrotechnics (this goes for plays as well). Although I date frequently, I always find an excuse to not be in a relationship because this fear is too embarrassing for me to bear. Sometimes it is almost too much to deal with...why did I get dealt such a horrible hand? Why couldn't I have a fear that you can avoid, like snakes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this better? It makes me feel like a worthless human being. I hate summer because of the constant threat of storms and neighbors shooting fireworks. I just want to be normal!
Ditto. I hate this time of the year!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts