Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've figured out that this is the main cause of my anxiety, but I was wondering if other people suffer from it as much as I do. At uni today during seminar, we were put into groups so whenever the lecturer speaks, I always turn to the side, but for whatever reason I keep thinking about whether the people to my right are staring at me weird, but in an effort not to make eye contact with them, I just keep worrying and racking my brains over it, which ends with me sweating my face off basically. It's extremely embarrassing, I just felt like leaving the room at the point, but then that would draw even more attention to me. I've never been so embarrassed in my whole life, thinking about it makes me want to hide somewhere. What can I do to avoid thinking so much about whether people are looking at me or not? That's all I ever think about, even while travelling on the train. Like, suppose I'm seated but there's a crowd of people standing in front of me, I always feel like they're staring, or the fact that I'm not reading a book or anything makes them feel awkward? I don't know... :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have this problem too, not quite as bad, but it gets really tiring and stressful, feeling like everyone's eyes are on you. I haven't figured out a "cure" yet. Maybe you could talk to a therapist and they would have advice or help of some kind (if you're like me and the thought of having a therapist stare at you while you talk is terrifying, maybe you could write to them).

But you're not alone :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
yeah i get that too. try to pay more attention to the lecturer? or stare back at the ppl but that might be too anxiety-provoking for you. i think the only way to fix this is just to take it in and while your taking it in, pay attention to your feelings and not the people. i'm anxious nowadays about those situations a decent bit, but when i'm actually in them (e.g. late for a class of 150, the professor pointed me out in front of the class), i acted normal and didn't feel too bad.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ipod is your friend. I'm just like you kinda I have low self confidence so when people look at me I immediately think its because they think I'm ugly or weird. Anyway use your ipod. It zones everything else out and your more into yourself. Also probably everyone feels that way one way or another

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ipod saves lives i just use my ipod as well i have the same problem i dont like being looked or stared at. I used to have shoulder lenghth hair and used it to drape over my face like cousin IT. Ive been better now i can talk to some people that i kno from seeing around but never a long conversation.

·
Registered
619 Posts
What can I do to avoid thinking so much about whether people are looking at me or not? That's all I ever think about, even while travelling on the train. Like, suppose I'm seated but there's a crowd of people standing in front of me, I always feel like they're staring, or the fact that I'm not reading a book or anything makes them feel awkward? I don't know... :(
Look at them and find out if they are. I'm also working on making better eye contact and possibly smiling. And yea if you're not reading they might think you're staring at them lol. So they check to see if you're looking at them. It's not nice to stare but looking at people for a few seconds is okay, so look around if you want, or slowly move your head and survey the scene without looking directly at people if you want.

·
Quag filante
8,709 Posts
I have the same problem, too. Whenever I was in the 12th grade, I would go to the library, but I still felt like people were watching me in there. My muscles would get stiff, my eyes would burn, and my face would burn up. I couldn't control my breathing because the complete quietness made me nervous. I just felt really uncomfortable, but it beat going to the lunchroom.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have this problem too! I do my best to not stare/look at people because I know how much I hate it when others stare or even look at me. Why can't others offer the same courtesy?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know what you mean, but sometimes we assume we can read minds and think they're staring at us for a bad reason when they're either just looking in the general direction or observing for no real reason other than to people watch :b I tell myself that I'm me and people staring at me is just observing me with no opinion attached as opposed to thinking something is wrong with me and it helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since I live in the west, staring is rude behavior so generally I dislike it but I seriously hate it more so if it comes from the opposite gender, especially from someone significantly older than me. These days, I have this habit of hiding myself though the habit has somewhat relaxed. If there's a person of opposite gender who is old enough to be my parent, then the habit still persists.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had this problem as well.. my therapist told me to draw up a circle and write reasons why i look at people. The reasons were basically (because they're goodlooking or i might know them). Then on the outside of the circle you write why you think they're looking at you (because im ugly, fat, hairy, etc all those terrible things) then this should put your thoughts into perspective. So if im looking at people all the time because they're hot (ei. Big boobs nice *** nice face whatever) what would be the chances of someone else looking at me for he same reason i look at them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts