Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although i haven't read them all (for example i never read at the mountains of madness, or his large novel, or the one about reviving corpses) i have a few which i liked a lot.

My absolute favorite should be The music of Erich Zahn.
I also like a lot The Outsider, the statement of Randolph Carter, The transition of Juan Romero.
Of the larger work i like most of The Color out of Space, and parts of The Dunwich Horror (around the first half of it) and the second half of The Shadow over Innsmouth.

And your favorites are? :)

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
LOVECRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT! :yay :yay :yay

I adore "The Dunwich Horror" and have a certain fondness for "The Shadow Over Innsmouth," too. I guess I have a soft spot for Wilbur Whateley and the Deep Ones. :D And, I think it's "The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward" that has such a creepy ending!

Some of the collaborations he did were really good too, I think "The Mound" was one of them. Great stuff! :yes

(And oh yes, I know it's long but I'd also recommend "At The Mountains Of Madness." I love how detailed he makes his stories, like they're accounts of things that really happened.)

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
I only read the call of ctuhulu, I know somebody who's a big fan of him though.

·
Banned
5,103 Posts
I've never read him so I've just bought his "complete works" on my kindle. £1.90 seems like a bargain to me. I think I will just start with one of the favourites above. :excitedaboutmaybediscoveringanewauthorilike

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Many of his stories are pretty similar to each other, and for me they kind of run together. The fact that it's been a while since I've read any of them contributes to this. I liked "The Call of Cthulhu", and also recall "Pickman's Model" and "Cool Air" being good. A pretty scary one ended with a man going down into an underground crypt at a cemetery and his friend listening in from above. When his friend doesn't come up, the one above calls down through a listening device and hears a response from a ghoulish voice that "___ is dead, you fool!" or something to that effect. Can you tell me which story this is? I just re-watched John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness", which has a Lovecraft feel but translated through conventional Christianity.

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is The Statement of Randolph Carter, which was based on a dream Lovecraft had :)

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rats in the walls is one of my own favorites too. Below the stone foundation of the house, infinite levels of space exist, an ancient abyss :)

Also i forgot the Call of Cthulhu, i always forget to name that :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've only read a handful of his work, including:

The Alchemist
The Beast in the Cave (first one I read)
Beyond the Wall of Sleep
Dagon
History of the Necronomicon
Memory
Polaris
The Tomb

So far, Dagon is my favorite.

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The beast in the cave is a little (and early) gem in my view too :)

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
The Call of Cthulhu, naturally.

Bonus points to whoever can tell me which short story the quote in my signature is from, though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts