Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
Yeah same here. I could be exhausted as hell but my mind will never turn off, or it takes a good two or three hours before I begin to doze off. I sometimes take sleeping pills and it (sometimes) helps but I don't want to have to become dependant on them.

·
"Semi-retired" SAS Member
1,006 Posts
I'm having that problem tonight... actually last two nights. Been staying up past midnight, even tho I have to get up at 5:30 to get ready for work. Just have a million thoughts racing around in my mind and can't wind down.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
This part was impossible for me without antipsychotic medication. I went through a serious SA crisis this year and would literally stay awake all night thinking about what I was enduring.

In the long run, you need to think about what you can do and can't do to change the situation. What you can do, change it; what you can't, you have no choice but to let it go. If it is something you can change, devise a plan to do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
try meditation, just close your eyes controll your breathing in the nose out the mouth , think of breathing in a white fluffy cloud, as breath in feel it moveing through out your body cleansing it of all the things running around in your head and body, as you breath out the cloud is black, as you keep breathing in and out ,keep thinking of the kleening and the cloud get whiter and whiter and whiter, your mind is clearer and clearer, you get sleepyer and sleepier, next thing you know it is morning. and oyu feel refreshed. good luck and sweet dreams.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have serious SERIOUS sleeping problems....just as I got older it got better...sorry I know that's no consolation, but I did try some things that seemed to work...

1.) exercise...weights, walking...timing is important...experiment...I used to do weights right before I went to bed...now I do it a few hours before....also experiment with the type of exercise...bike riding used to make me hyper!! I stayed up 3 days in a row one time because I went bikeriding!....think it was 3 days after 2 I lost track. :-O

2.) medicine....used to be very reluctant...plus I was so wired it would not help...used mom's meds....thought they were a joke...although one time they did work....Halcion i think I tried.

BUT...now meds do help...Ambien...Sonata...am hopefully going to get Lunesta which supposedly you can take for extended periods of time, although I will not do that.. Right now with these meds, I sometimes avoid taking them if I have taken them too many days in a row...go without sleep.

3.) there's an imaging technique....has a name not sure what it's called...:-(...imagine an object, like a coffee cup or a baseball...and let your mind wander around the object visually, like you are a tiny object and can go around and up close to the object...notice the contours and textures....this works i think because it gets your mind off your worries....lots of other ways...I found this.

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/insomn ... tml#mental

4.) Eating before bed. This is not the healthiest thing to do because more of the food gets converted to fat if you do this, but I had to choose between sleep and risking gaining weight....(I actually didn't gain any weight)....but just know that digestion is different when you eat before you sleep.

5.) Experiment and find find something that works. This is hit or miss right? Warm milk. Turkey? (L-tryptophan)...or just buy L-trytophan!!.. think I tried it at one point...not sure it worked...hot baths...sorry I know you have probably heard this a million times...

Wish I knew the name of the technique #3...I bookmarked it one time...:-(

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know it this is of any help but I used to lie on my back, stretch my arms and legs and let them consciously loose, i.e. let go of the tension. Also consciously let go of the knotting of my eyebrows (which is my usual facial expression :bah ) to let them fall to a relaxed position. The I took deep breaths and imagined I was floating. Kinda weird but sometimes when it worked well, it felt good and I slipped into sleep before I knew it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Insomnia, waking up over and over, not enough sleep

My insomnia started to get worse all of a sudden about 3 days ago... right after i was thinking it was getting better! The first night it got worse I was up till 5:30 am then woke up at 6 am. Couldnt get back to sleep. I even tried my herbal sleeping pills that night and when i woke up at 6 am i took another one but rrrrrrrrrrr so I was feeling totally spaced out and on edge even more than usual yesterday, I couldnt really do anything and was really avoiding doing anything while I was feeling that wierd. I was feeling weak and unsteady too. The next night I didnt get to sleep untill 3, woke up a bunch of times and then couldnt get back to sleep after 6. Last night i didnt get to sleep untill about 3 am again and woke up at 5. This is so frustrating, i feel exhausted but I dont feel sleepy if you know what I mean. I try pretty much all the techniques people have posted here, and I try to keep my evenings as relaxing as possible... i feel lame that my posts are always so negative on the board here so far... but i feel so out of it... i said my anxiety makes it so i cry easily... now its multiplied with the exhaustion feeling even though im not doing any physical labour or anything... i just wanna get my rest... i read before I go to sleep, and i read things that dont set off my anxiety. I dont know why i am posting this, except thhat Im feeling pretty pathetic right now and desperate for any advice. i know alot of people who had been able to function when they have insomnia and very little sleep, but i get really unsteady and my SA is worse.... I dont know if anyone would have any more advice, maybe I just wanted to get it out... thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.