Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Imaginary Boy™
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know how many others with social anxiety have fake smiled before.

For me, it's one of my quirks that I'm not proud of, but at times I can't really help it. It's a natural reaction for me to smile when I'm insecure, and I have tried to break the habit, but no luck so far.

If I go deep inside my psyche I think I know why I react this way. It's a way of putting up a defensive shield on my emotions so no one can read me.

People often ask me, "Why do you smile so much?" and I usually try to dodge the question because I'm ashamed of the real answer: That I have SAD.

Because of my fake smiles, people often think that I am happy-go-lucky or something, when in reality I'm the opposite inside.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For me it's the opposite. I hardly smile (not that I'm sad). But I try to keep a neutral expression. I must come across as sad/angry because people always ask me, "What's wrong?" I say, "Nothing." But in my head I'm thinking, "The only thing wrong is you asking me what's wrong?" I mean I try to keep a normal facial expression but for some reason I always have a serious almost bored looking/angry face.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
For me it's the opposite. I hardly smile (not that I'm sad). But I try to keep a neutral expression. I must come across as sad/angry because people always ask me, "What's wrong?" I say, "Nothing." But in my head I'm thinking, "The only thing wrong is you asking me what's wrong?" I mean I try to keep a normal facial expression but for some reason I always have a serious almost bored looking/angry face.
It might be that your neutral face may look angry or sad. I used to be this way years ago but I started practicing smiling infront of a mirror because I was sick of people asking me what was wrong. Now everyone thinks I am super happy and cheerful. I don't know which is worse.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No. It's hard for me to smile even if I have my picture taken. It's partly because of my jaw structure and how I don't look good when I smile, and partly because a lot of the time I'm not too happy because of SA.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apparently I just sort of smile all the time. A friend I met on the internet mentioned it when he met me, and I was a little baffled. It doesn't feel like I'm always smiling...

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
Yep. Quite a bit. But I am a naturally "smiley" person and actually earned that nickname in my early highschool years. It doesn't take much to make me happy - I'm not simple minded, I just get to a point where I'd sooner laugh about my faults than wallow in pity.

Not that I don't have plenty of wallowing moments. xD

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's not such a bad habit, people would rather be around someone who appears to be happy than someone who looks like :blank all the time. (sorry to those who can't smile)

I fake smile all the time, mostly to spare peoples feelings. Smiling for cameras is hard for most people

·
Imaginary Boy™
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's funny, because I realize I smile during the times I feel trapped or threatened. For example, if I'm in a crowded place and someone makes eye contact with me I might just smile then look away. Then I realize I probably look like someone with mental issues... Oh wait, I DO have mental issues...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The same thing happens to me...Also i hate the way my smile looks so i try to keep a neutral expression...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts