Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new apartment and read craigslist everyday and I've been seeing these fake ads for nice places with really low rent where the owner will claim to be living out of the country and wants you to send them the rent and deposit. The first one I responded to I just asked why such a nice place was so low rent and they didn't respond. The second one I asked if they were the owner of the house and got this long letter about how they want so much for someone to take good care of their property.

·
♥
163 Posts
Err you'll find fake ads and all that everywhere and for various things...often run by people from countries other than the one on the site you're looking at. I remember looking on gumtree (like an aussie craig's list) for a puppy and was so stoked when I found an ad for a free puppy, all I had to pay for was the transport costs (hundred and something). Did a quick google search of the ad and found at heaps of people had been scammed by these Nigerian-run ads. lucky me!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a quick google search of the ad and found at heaps of people had been scammed by these Nigerian-run ads. lucky me!
Exactly! It reminds me of the ads I used to get in my email of people claiming they had inherited a bunch of money but had no bank account and just needed someone in America with a bank account to transfer it into.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,364 Posts
Err you'll find fake ads and all that everywhere and for various things...often run by people from countries other than the one on the site you're looking at. I remember looking on gumtree (like an aussie craig's list) for a puppy and was so stoked when I found an ad for a free puppy, all I had to pay for was the transport costs (hundred and something). Did a quick google search of the ad and found at heaps of people had been scammed by these Nigerian-run ads. lucky me!
Cool I didn't know other countries used gumtree (I'm from the UK.. You know I really should just change my location now, I feel myself having to type that multiple times a day when location is relevant to a post...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts