Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have trouble making different facial expressions? You may not know it if you do. I noticed how I usually have the same "neutral" face, except when I laugh/smile which isn't too often. When I try to make angry or surprised faces it seems like I'm forcing it, maybe because I'm never really phased enough to actually be surprised or angry.

Solution? So I was looking in the mirror when I was kind of manic and thinking I'm the sh*t and making all kinds of expressions. When I don't actually feel the emotion, when I am not one with it, like when I am making the expression from a 3rd person point of view, it looks SO bad and fake. And this is how it must look when I force expressions in real life. However, when I was really feeling it and accepting it and allowing my face to do what it wants based on what I was making myself feel it looked real.

So maybe by practicing in the mirror you can see what it looks like when you make expressions and try to work on them, or become one with them so they look real.

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
Ironically I actually think my face shows too much expression. When I'm depressed people notice, when I'm mad people notice, and I don't talk much so it's like my body does all the talking for me and it's kind of awkward..

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have trouble smiling even when I am content. I practice a lot in the mirror but it doesn't help when the situation comes up. :/
Same with me, I mostly am talking about other expressions though. Like just slight expressions people make when they are talking and putting emphasis on certain things. I have trouble with this. They probably don't look genuine, but I can get them to in front of the mirror when I really try to let the emotion take me over.

I'm realizing that this is a big part of my SA and probably causes me to not look normal.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't know if this applies, but I have this bad habit of over exaggerating facial expressions, or just making odd facial expressions. It's like a weird compulsion. I probably look like a weirdo, and scare people off. I try to control it though.

·
Denizen of the Night
230 Posts
I do mad/angry faces pretty good. I get lots of practice working on stuff with stuck bolts or hard to reach parts. I only smile when I think something is funny. Other than that I always have a blank, bored looking expression.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do mad/angry faces pretty good. I get lots of practice working on stuff with stuck bolts or hard to reach parts. I only smile when I think something is funny. Other than that I always have a blank, bored looking expression.
I think this is a huge, underrated part of SA that most people with SA probably don't even notice. In the mirror, I was making my normal face I make when I am walking around campus and it looks so bad! It's like there is no life inside me and my eyes are just dull and my face is completely expressionless. I don't really know how to correct it though but I know facial expressions are based on emotions and how you feel on the inside, right? Even when I try smiling in the mirror it's only my mouth that changes, and when I try to get the whole face involved it just looks so f'ed up.

This is definitely a SA related thing and it is high on my priority list to correct because it is a very important aspect. If you don't know what I'm talking about or don't know if you have this just look at yourself in the mirror for a while and make all sorts of expressions, from slight expressiveness to intense. Judge how real they are, like if you were an actor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.