Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You have to keep in mind that most Facebook users go out of their way to play up their social lives and overall "hipness" through their profiles. Whereas I, and probably many SA'ers, tend to withdraw myself from the interactions on Facebook, just as I do with real-life interactions. I almost never post on anyone else's wall or send anyone messages, and even when I am out at a social event where the narcissists are taking pictures galore, I do a good job of avoiding them, so I have very few pictures of me tagged on FB. The end result is that if one were to judge me (and my social life specifically) based solely on my FB profile, it would look unrealistically pathetic. Granted, my social life is pretty pathetic, but since I don't go out of my way to exaggerate everything about myself online where a lot of other people do, it wouldn't be an entirely fair comparison to others' profiles.

Just remember that most young people are absolutely consumed by the idea of fitting in and being considered cool and well-known, and with our generation, a large component of the social d!ck-measuring contest now takes place online. It's a lot easier to fake your way into a hip persona when all you have to do is edit a few text fields with the socially "correct" interests, activities, etc., and be a big camera wh0re at the few social events you do attend. So instead of feeling down next time you log on to FB, give yourself a pat on the back for having the sense not to fabricate an online persona (like a fair percentage of the people you've been thinking "have better lives" probably are), and for actually enjoying the activities you do in real-life without the distraction of snapping 768 cheesy face shots of yourself so you can feel better about your fake FB persona.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.