Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel nervous when you are on facebook i dont know but when i enter facebook( i made an account) i feel nervous seeing all this people i know from school having lots and lots and lotsssssss of friends. they write about themselfs and act social and have on there facebook stuff like those test who you are like "what kind of person you are", "and how good of a partner you are" and they have like normal person and like perfect partner.they write and interact and i feel so nervous like if they would see me on facebook like with nothing just my cold looking photo how they are gona judge me( i feel nervous even getting like a email that tells me some1 wants to be my friends).

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
i do not have facebook but whenever i log onto msn i start sweating and my heart rate increases. i personally could not handle facebook. too much drama.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
Nervous all the time I even got blocked for stalking I guess I feel like people are out to get me

·
Registered
107 Posts
They might have lots of friends, but you have to realise most of these people add random people and then forget about them. I have a few of those sorts of people in my friends atm from all over the world

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel very inferior to everyone one facebook and myspace because they are always uploading photos of all the fun things they're doing, and posting about their social lives and I really have nothing to post about on there. I have a myspace and facebook (and a twitter) because a friend of mine made me get them.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Haven't even signed up for facebook because I'm afraid old friends will find it and want to get in touch :/
Yeah that's a big reason why I never signed up for Facebook/Myspace.

Another reason is I don't have any life that I can put up on display. Everyone else loads up their profile of pics of themselves out at bars and partying. I have nothing like that.

I'm better off having people ponder that maybe I became successful. Although the few people that would actually remember me, I doubt they spend much time wondering what I'm up to these day.

BTW, I created a phony profile in an attempt to have more access to people profiles. Unfortunately 90% of them are still blocked. Is it possible for people to know that someone was checking out their profile? I'm always a bit paranoid about that.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You have to keep in mind that most Facebook users go out of their way to play up their social lives and overall "hipness" through their profiles. Whereas I, and probably many SA'ers, tend to withdraw myself from the interactions on Facebook, just as I do with real-life interactions. I almost never post on anyone else's wall or send anyone messages, and even when I am out at a social event where the narcissists are taking pictures galore, I do a good job of avoiding them, so I have very few pictures of me tagged on FB. The end result is that if one were to judge me (and my social life specifically) based solely on my FB profile, it would look unrealistically pathetic. Granted, my social life is pretty pathetic, but since I don't go out of my way to exaggerate everything about myself online where a lot of other people do, it wouldn't be an entirely fair comparison to others' profiles.

Just remember that most young people are absolutely consumed by the idea of fitting in and being considered cool and well-known, and with our generation, a large component of the social d!ck-measuring contest now takes place online. It's a lot easier to fake your way into a hip persona when all you have to do is edit a few text fields with the socially "correct" interests, activities, etc., and be a big camera wh0re at the few social events you do attend. So instead of feeling down next time you log on to FB, give yourself a pat on the back for having the sense not to fabricate an online persona (like a fair percentage of the people you've been thinking "have better lives" probably are), and for actually enjoying the activities you do in real-life without the distraction of snapping 768 cheesy face shots of yourself so you can feel better about your fake FB persona.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
They might have lots of friends, but you have to realise most of these people add random people and then forget about them. I have a few of those sorts of people in my friends atm from all over the world
I just signed up on facebook a week ago
and the next day two people whom I don't even know send me friend requests
so yeah i think they just collect friends and forget about them later

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good stuff. I thought I was the only one! I always get butterflies (more like crows) in my stomache when i sign on. And god forbid i have an inbox message. If i message anyone, i sometimes cant check the response for a couple days because im afraid of what they will say. I once asked someone a personal q on fb (i know them in real life too :D) and i didnt open the reply for literaly 6 months. yep.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yes, everyone on fb/myspace definitely thinks every photo they post is for their very own magazine cover. you just have to realize that most of those ppl are just trying impress everyone and/or get attention, its almost like an online throwback to high school. i have a fb w/ about 130ish friends. some i grew up w/, some i just met, some i went to school w/, some i hung out w/, some i worked w/ etc. but to be honest i really only use it just to chat w/ maybe a handful of my friends/family. lol and i got hooked on that mafia wars game. and some of the quizess are fun to do if you have some down time. and dont take them seriously.

but in the end it is just some void for MOST, not all, ppl to make themselves feel important in todays fast paced environment. i recently started deleting ppl who update their status every ten minutes talking about "omg, how wasted were we last nite" it gets annoying. plus even after deleting my ex, i still see her in every pic becuz we have the same friends. so yea, it can get annoying seeing everyone trying to be so glib.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I'm totally paranoid about using Facebook. To create an account, I made up a fake name and created a new Yahoo email account with the same fake information to register. I even used a zip code from another state.

Oh, and my name is one I created using first and last names that are common in India. :sus

1 - 20 of 51 Posts