Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to be more socially active, and perhaps make a friend or two. However, since I have so much trouble communicating in person or over the phone, and am better online, I thought I'd try to be more active on facebook as a first step. However, as I've started trying to participate more on facebook, I've realized I don't really know how to get started.

I have about a hundred facebook "friends", but most of these are just random people I barely know who were in my high school (which was quite small) and were probably just friending everyone who used to go to the school. The group of people I know in real life on my list is probably a couple dozen or so. I guess that's a start. There's a few I'd like to get to know better, but I'm not really sure what the facebook etiquette is for posting things on other people's pages.

So far I've been regularly checking a few people's pages looking for posts that they've made that I have something something interesting to say about. If I only know them as an acquaintance, is it proper to go and start commenting on one of their posts, or is this traditionally done only if one knows that person well? I'm pretty sure it's fine, but I feel nervous about it just the same. This morning I found one interesting post I commented on; However, as the day went on, I didn't get anyone commenting on my comment or liking it, so that got me worried that because I wasn't in that person's in group, it was wrong of me to make a comment on their post. Luckily they just liked it a half an hour ago, so I'm feeling less nervous about it now, but I know I'll feel just as nervous about any comment I make on someone else's post in the future unless I'm sure of facebook etiquette.

Another issue I'm having difficulty with is what to post on my wall. Since few know me very well, I'm not optimistic about getting people to check out what I post if they see it in their news feed. On a side note, what makes something show up in someones news feed? Is this any post anyone makes, or is it only specific posts that show up? Anyway, I've had mixed results with the two posts I've tried making so far. A few days ago I posted a link to a Colbert Report clip which referenced some work I did over an internship this summer; that got a couple likes but no comments. Earlier today I tried posting a pretty long video of a talk I really liked, but that didn't get any comments or likes. I have no idea what's the best type of stuff to put up to get people to notice it, like it, and comment on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So mainly what I'm looking for is advice on posting on other people's pages, what type of stuff is good to post on my own page, and any miscellaneous tips people can provide me on getting to know people better through facebook. Thanks a lot for the help.

·
TEAR DOWN THE WALL!
2,299 Posts
Don't worry about posting comments/likes on other people's walls. People are generally narcissistic and are happy to get awknowledgement from anyone willing to give it. (Some are more likely to return the favor too.)

The Colbert Report clip sounds like a good thing to post. The reason why the longer clip got no response, however, is because people have short attention spans and get bored quickly. I've mentioned on an earlier thread today about posting x-rays of my broken arm on my wall. It got more responses than pictures of my new roommate, a 7 week old Seeing-Eye lab puppy. (He's mad cute too.) If you ever break something or need you appendix removed or something, I highly advise you snap photos. I got some really nice ":eek:" responses. Since you probably don't have any disturbing injuries to exploit, posting a picture or short article about something you find funny works well. People appreciate humor.

Please be careful not to get your self worth too wrapped up in Facebook. It's helped out my social life a little bit, but I've heard plenty of cases where it just made people feel worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts