Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so most everyone who uses Facebook knows that there's this feature that sends out a notification to all your friends when your birthday is coming up, so that they know to wish you happy birthday.

I've disabled showing my birthday on my profile, because I'm afraid that once my b-day rolls around, barely anyone will care/post on my wall. Reason being, I never really got to know many people that well in high school.

I guess I'm kind of afraid of letting myself realize how few friends I really have.

Does anyone else who uses Facebook do this, or am I the only one?

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i think i have that disabled as well. i kind of feel like there might be attention on me if i know everyone on my friends list will have my name on their frontpage.
i know someone who recently even deleted his facebook page the day before his birthday and then brought it back afterwards. ha

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I don't hide mine, but for a long time I tried my best to say "Happy Birthday" to almost everyone and I still got only three wall posts on my birthday, all from people who had just had birthdays the same month.

·
Time Lord
178 Posts
I like to get the birthday wishes from people
but i count them too
if i don't have very many, I always end up depressed for a while :cry
which I know is kinda lame...

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I like getting the birthday wishes, even though there may not be as many as I'd like. It makes me feel like at least someone cares, or at least cares enough to check the birthday notices and take 10 seconds out of their day to write "happy birthday" on everyone's wall, regardless of whether they actually think about me otherwise.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I would just say to disable that feature if you can then. I don't mind people saying happy b-day to me, but it's just the repetitive thank you responses that I don't like doing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's my birthday today! I am avoiding my facebook page as I know I won't be getting many birthday wishes. That doesn't worry me too much. What does, is that I'm embarrassed that others will see how few birthday wishes I get. It is like a public announcement of unpopularity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's my birthday today! I am avoiding my facebook page as I know I won't be getting many birthday wishes. That doesn't worry me too much. What does, is that I'm embarrassed that others will see how few birthday wishes I get. It is like a public announcement of unpopularity.
first of all, happy birthday! :D and same here,i actually closed my account on my last birthday to not to see how unpopular i am :) (and re-opened it next day:lol, i didn't know if we can disable the birthday announcements at all :D) this year i'm gonna leave it as the way it is and confront my fears :)

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
My birthday is disabled on my myspace. I don't really comments though, not birthday, not at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure you can disable birthday announcements. At least fall of last year you could...

Either that, or no one wished me happy birthday that day. :(

Which doesn't seem likely, because I have one or two close friends who wouldn't miss it.

And happy birthday Vitruvia!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Really? Because I don't get any notifications of when it's somebody's birthday. Do you mean the thing on the side that always shows when someone's birthday is coming up, or do you mean an actual notification?
Anyways, I have my birthday on my profile but I'm one of those people who doesn't really like birthday attention and won't tell anyone it's my birthday. Trouble is, they always seem to find out later and get mad that you didn't tell them!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine wasn't disabled and when my birthday came around the only people who wished me happy b-day were my relatives. It's been a few months and the only other people who recongized it was my birthday were some coworkers. None of my "friends" even remembered, till this day. I felt pretty crappy about it.

·
The way out is through.
171 Posts
I have mine enabled. I like seeing the birthday wishes roll in, since I barely get any attention on fb any other time of the year. :D I think you should keep it enabled. On facebook, people wish each other a happy birthday just for the heck of it, so even if you have a small number of friends I'm sure you'll get something.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i know someone who recently even deleted his facebook page the day before his birthday and then brought it back afterwards. ha
I did this. I also shut my phone off and didn't go on the internet. I spent my birthday alone and refused to accept presents, even from family. I got a card from my parents but I ripped it up and didn't read it. I probably need to see someone about these actions.

·
Sassy
2,222 Posts
Nah, too much bother. Last year I only got like 4 messages on my birthday, but this year I got a ton. But not like I count them or anything. :b

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey, if it makes anyone feel better, I know this girl who has (just checked a min ago) 246 friends on her facebook page. I've hungout with her in real life, she's EXTREMELY outgoing (party crazy), seems to have a million friends, you know, the typical cheerleader-kind of girl always out and about.

Last month she had her Birthday (then she had like 239 friends or whatever). At 1:04am on her B-Day she wrote on her facebook wall 'MY BIRTHDAY TODAYYYY!!!!'.

Guess how many people posted Happy Birthday, out of those 239 or so friends she had at that time? EVEN after she posted on her own wall that it was her Birthday?

Yep, two people, both girls. Out of 239 people, just two.

I even was scratching my head after seeing that, I was shocked that that little amount of people out of 239 or so friends posted happy birthday. This tells me two things, at least in regards to this girl:

A. Yeah, she may have like 240+ friends on facebook, but actually -knows- 10 or so.
B. Maybe she knows more than 10, say some 30-40, but looking at her friend list, they seem like...really...sketchy people. So, those kind of people are probably thinking 'Birthday? Haha **** you'. When like half of her friend list is people making stern faces sticking their middle finger up, kind of makes sense.

So, I hope thats some condolence to you all :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love getting birthday wishes on Facebook, but I don't have many friends so I feel embarrassed when I get only a few posts. As someone else pointed out earlier, it's like an announcement of unpopularity. :|

·
Not your typical girl
98 Posts
I actually enjoy it because people on my list always say it even to people they never talk to. It's like I can feel a little famous for one day, even if its pathetic.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts