Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in college I started a facebook account and it was fine at the time
I actually felt popular with people writing to me until I graduated

I graduated and moved to Oregon where I know no one. I closed my account for about a year and opened it again. Now on one ever says anything to me and I feel like people are judgmental based on that. I met new people and they HAD to add me on facebook. I didn't want to accept but eventually I did. Now they can see how inactive my facebook is and how no one ever writes me. I feel like people are judging me and it's not the same anymore. Are my thoughts rational?
I was going to close it but if I do that, people would never be able to get in touch with me (if needed :roll)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same concern at first.... but then I decided to keep it open and I've found people from high school that I would have never been able to connect with if I would have closed it...

I also know that I'm not the only one with few friends... besides, sometimes people don't have much activity nor friends because they're just private people...

I know some very social people who only have a handful of friends on facebook..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
im too nervous to get a facebook because im scared my girl/guy ratio would be out of wack compared to my peers.

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I had a Facebook account for about a year, but I got so intimidated and paranoid about people judging me that I just withdrew myself. I'm tempted to get another one again, but I'm not sure. I understand how you feel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i avoid Facebook, myspace and MSN

after awhile it felt like some competitive thing making sure I had good comments and i was doing what everyone else was

·
Registered
344 Posts

after awhile it felt like some competitive thing making sure I had good comments and i was doing what everyone else was
Yeah, i don't get most of the comments. Alot of people post exactly what they are doing at the moment. If i'm going to do something my first reaction isn't to say hey let me stop what i'm doing and post it on facebook. I just don't get it.

Why don't you just email the person if you need to talk to them?

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I'm definitely feeling the same way you are about this. I have 165 friends on facebook...and I only talk to about 3 or 4 or them. Everyday I feel pressured to make it look at least decent or face public scrutiny. In my opinion, these thoughts are irrational because my SA is telling me that it has to be perfect when it doesn't but rational at the same time because I don't want to make myself look bad.

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Same with me i deactivated my account for a number of reasons

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have yet to take the facebook plunge, for fear of being found by childhood acquaintances.

I'm taking a web design course in college, and my prof says we are required to join facebook....ughh

·
Registered
120 Posts

Me too, especially when I see people with like 300 plus friends. To me at least, it seems to be a competitive ego fest, but that might just be my SA telling me that..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts