Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've stayed off it to avoid people. I feel like they're going to ask me questions I don't want to answer, or I'll only have a few contacts on there, but now I've met people I actually do want to keep in contact with. I'm embarrassed that they'll think I'm a loser if I just have them and a few other people on my page. I'm getting older, so it seems...weird not to have more, I guess, especially since these people are really social. Should I just go for it? Sometimes I think I'd rather be alone than be embarrassed...

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I joined facebook recently to get in touch with two people who I'd lost contact with. Now that I have gotten their contact details I am thinking of deleting my profile because try as I might I can't get over the issues mentioned by Cillian9. I have told the two people about my SA issues and have even joined a Depression and SA group on facebook so I'm not afraid to admit it. I still feel uncomfortable though.

Btw even though I worried about their reactions a lot to the point that it took me about an year of procrastinating and worrying to join facebook thosetwo people have been very mature and understanding about it, even if they don't quite get what SA is.

·
Lost
342 Posts
Ok I have facebook and I use it sometimes.

I am extremely paranoid about not having that many friends on there and my friends have heaps of friends so I feel a bit stink. If I had more friends and felt more normal I would use it all the time because it's an awesome tool for keeping in contact with friends/family overseas and that.

I think we just need to get over it really and get into it. I don't think people really care that much how many friends you have except maybe for people that are like really into themselves and those people sux so who cares about them.

They won't think you're a loser and they won't think you are a superficial dickhead that adds heaps of friends so thats good.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
If they think you're a loser then why would they want to keep in contact with you? The most likely answer is that they don't care if you have very little people or not. If they ask then tell them that you don't really use facebook.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I am leaning towards joining. These people have really helped me come out of my shell, and I know I shouldn't worry about them judging me, but I guess that's how my SA works. I always assume people can practically see the SA stamped on my forehead. I hate the idea of people not thinking I'm "normal".

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Meh, I just dont care anymore what people might think so I keep my account.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Totally know where you are coming from. Facebooks scares me! First of all, I feel like a loser for not having a lot of 'friends'. These days everyone seems to have hundreds of 'friends'. Secondly, i hate posting a profile pic because that is the one picture people will constantly see. Third, several people I knew when I was younger have been contacting me, wanting to know what has happened in my life. They are all married with kids so once again I feel like a loser because that hasn't happened for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not really worried about friend numbers - they depend on when you joined or how often you go on.

What bothers me is the ratio of adds requested by me to those made by others - it's a big number :sigh. Over two years I feel I've made a fair bit of effort trying to make friends at college. Trying to make small talk, borrowing or lending notes, groupwork, asking about assignments or whatever. When I feel I've built up a friendly sort of acquaintance atmosphere, I'll add them on FB.

It's funny, it's a smaller college where everybody in the same year and field of study knows each other. Not one person there has ever added me and yet 20-25 of them are FB friends of mine.

It's true FB is mostly like a collection of Pokemon cards rather than actual friends, but that said, I see a lot of value in subscribing to updates from others that I hold regard for (like people in my field of study, or people from work, or with hobbies in common, etc).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts