Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to start testing out eye contact with people and seeing how they react to it, maybe if I feel confident enough or get a positive reaction I'll add a hi.

----

Today:
-girl approx. my age walking to class, made eye contact for about 0.1 seconds before I looked down and started walking faster

-boy approx. my age in line, he looked away instantly :(

-girl approx. my age walking past me on a bench, she smiled at me and then I freaked out, like adrenaline rush, panic symptoms starting from that :eek

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have people on here found at all that eye contact practice like this help to improve anxiety when meeting new people, or helps with making eye contact during conversation? Or is this a waste of time?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think I'm going to start testing out eye contact with people and seeing how they react to it, maybe if I feel confident enough or get a positive reaction I'll add a hi.

----

Today:
-girl approx. my age walking to class, made eye contact for about 0.1 seconds before I looked down and started walking faster

-boy approx. my age in line, he looked away instantly :(

-girl approx. my age walking past me on a bench, she smiled at me and then I freaked out, like adrenaline rush, panic symptoms starting from that :eek
At least you are trying. That's a place to start.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have no problem making eye contact, but every once in awhile I'll suddenly become acutely aware of it and I'll start over-thinking how much eye contact I'm making. Don't ever lock eyes with someone in a conversation and never look away, it's awkward and probably creepy for the other person. Trust me.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I mean maybe. I'd say the best way to practice would actually be in conversation. I'm ****ty at eye contact so when I do really try ( like for job interviews etc.) I usually just end up staring at them. I believe there's a certain number of seconds that's "acceptable". Just practice getting to that number of seconds in casual conversations maybe? Or invest in some nice sunglasses :)

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Do it! :clap Excellent idea.

One tip though: Always break eye-contact horizontally rather than vertically. Looking down is a submissive gesture, where as looking to the side is neutral. The last thing you want to do is to make a submissive body language cue a fixed habit.

Have people on here found at all that eye contact practice like this help to improve anxiety when meeting new people, or helps with making eye contact during conversation? Or is this a waste of time?
Yes. Very much so. I did these exercises to practice: http://www.socialanxietysupport.com...ment-exercise-for-anyone-who-wants-it-903361/

(I may have mentioned that before)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts