Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have trouble with this? The best example I can give is like when watching television with other people in the room, and have fear of making eye contact with the edge of your vision. I find it the worst in movie theaters, where everyone is sitting in a perfect line. I usually have to focus on something else for a few seconds to relieve the anxiety.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the same problem. It use to make school a nightmare for me especially if I was sitting next to a cute girl and didn't wanna seem like a creep. Its not as much of a problem for me as it use to be though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In college it was especially bad. I tended to look down and act as if I was reading something, or focus on taking notes. Lecture classes weren't too bad, but those classes where they make everyone sit in a circle for the intimate class feel always sucked. I always went for end seats, that way I had at least one direction where no one is in my field of vision.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,072 Posts
Peripheral vision is one of my SA crutches as well, sometimes SA makes me not follow it instinctively or others times I'm very much oblivious to it & notice things far too late if at all.

I think this can be a major SA issue for some of us, not being able to naturally tap into the more subtle forms of communication. For example, as a result of the above I miss some body language cues

·
Hm
614 Posts
Lol I thought i was the only one... omg it's a nightmare... the worst part here is that i make people feel un-comfortable who sits near me because I see them in the peripheral vision and then they become nervous because of me because it looks like i stare at them when i try not to... it's so horrible and a hell....

But i found a solution when you're standing with a lot of people. If you look down, your peripheral vision will be wider and it will seem that you look at other people, will make them feel un-comfortable.. now lift up your head normally, it will become sooooooo much better!! u won't have this problem anymore while standing... lift up ur head to normal level i mean.

·
Registered
538 Posts
in my experience its uncomfortable yes, but its somethign you can overcome just by practice it. When you walk on the streets, sit in the train/bus/whatever. Try looking people in the eyes. Ofc choose people that looks friendly and not buffed tattooed Guys :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hate it when it happens in a classroom. Especially if a girl is adjacent to me, Id make her so uncomfortable. Lol

·
Hm
614 Posts
Please help, that problem drives me crazy, i can't handle it anymore, today i sat with my brother and sister, then i bowed my head down to avoid looking at them with my peripheral vision.. please...... i need help !!!!! it happens when i sit on the bus, train or sit in a place full of people!!! !!!! what should i do?? and practicing by looking at stranger's eyes is very rude.. i can't do it to somebody.. he will feel un-comfortable from me and i don't want to do it to any one. i found a cure when standing, it's looking straight 90 degrees.. i mean not looking down.. but when sitting!! anything????!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts