Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
.:focused:...
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extroverts!!! Is it just me, or does anyone else sometimes feel like extroverts are *******s?
I mean pretty much all of my classmates are extroverted, social people and I am not. Besides dealing with S.A. I am introverted. Anyway, when I do try to speak up I can't get a word in because they all take up the conversation. In mainstream U.S. culture they look down on introverted, shy people like there is something wrong with us.
The worst is that then the extroverts make me feel even more like I don't fit in. Then I get awkward.
What is your experience being around extroverts??

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well actually extrovert=talkative and introvert=shy isn't correct.

For example I know a lady who is extremely friendly,loves socializing with friends, and is always on the go. You would think she was an extrovert but she's actually an introvert because she does need alone time in order to function and hates having people around her ALL the time. Her husband is the opposite. He's an extrovert but is extremely quiet and not expressive of his emotions but he enjoys being around people and hates being alone.

I feel extremely uncomfortable around loud people who are also attention seekers. They are really annoying and I start getting paranoid around them.

·
Banned
4,523 Posts

For example I know a lady who is extremely friendly,loves socializing with friends, and is always on the go. You would think she was an extrovert but she's actually an introvert because she does need alone time in order to function and hates having people around her ALL the time. Her husband is the opposite. He's an extrovert but is extremely quiet and not expressive of his emotions but he enjoys being around people and hates being alone.

I feel extremely uncomfortable around loud people who are also attention seekers. They are really annoying and I start getting paranoid around them.
That reminds me of my friend. He was comfortable talking to people but did not feel the urge to always be saying something. If you were at his house, with him on the computer, and you playing a game on the TV, that was fine to him. He liked you being there. Even if you weren't super engaged with each other.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That reminds me of my friend. He was comfortable talking to people but did not feel the urge to always be saying something. If you were at his house, with him on the computer, and you playing a game on the TV, that was fine to him. He liked you being there. Even if you weren't super engaged with each other.
Yup though extroverts do tend to be more talkative and social while introverts tend to be more quiet, it's not always the case.

I do think our society puts emphasis on being social and perhaps being a bit conformist? Or maybe just not deep thinkers.

·
Taking it easy
482 Posts
Well, I try not to paint with too wide a brush. Some people are too extroverted to the point of being inconsiderate to others, but there is a whole spectrum of introversion/extroversion for people to fall under. It can sometimes be a little frustrating to be around extroverts as a socially anxious person though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Extroverts and introverts can be equally as *******-ish.
I agree. I think I'm actually extroverted, just stuck in a "shell" of SA. Are the majority of people with SA actually introverted? As far as I can tell it doesn't really affect your base personality, so I don't see why they would be.

·
metamorphosis
7,002 Posts
I hardly see any difference. Extroverts are ********s as well as introverts.

To be honest, I kind of see myself as an extrovert, but stuck as an 'introvert' because of SA, if that makes any sense.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
All I know is that some classes are clearly biased towards extroverted people and it ****ing sucks.

·
Registered
53 Posts

This. I hate those attention seekers too. Not all extroverts are bad though. Just like in everything, sometimes there's rotten apples.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts