Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have to take a "communications training" next week and tomorrow i have to attend a marketing meeting about customer survey. i will be just observing but i've been told that i have to do these kind of meetings in the future.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just hate meetings and I have many of them. Almost every week I must attend one. I almost never speak at this meetings, but I feel extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes I pretend I'm sick and I run away.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been doing meetings for nearly 2 years now.. didn't like it at the start, and still don't very much like it now.. but you get used to it! Actually isn't too bad if it's about a topic you like :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have to take a "communications training" next week and tomorrow i have to attend a marketing meeting about customer survey. i will be just observing but i've been told that i have to do these kind of meetings in the future.
What job field are you in? I will go crazy in the future if I get a job and I have to attend meetings ... Is this a typical thing that happens in any job field?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im in R&D for a food company. At the staff level, we dont attend meetings. We spend most of the time in the lab. Now im a supervisor, I have to attend meetings with marketing. Most of the time, it's about them setting the price they want to sell the product at so they give us the max amount of production cost and we have to make the product at under that cost. Its not too bad. Still mostly lab work.

at the manager level, we have to attend more meetings regarding customer surveys and other marketing activities. We have to join marketing when they do customer surveys, professional panel test, etc. Most lab work are delegated to supervisors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
communications training was a disaster. it was a class of 25 other employees from various divisions. the trainer had us go around asking everyone's unique fact about themselves. we had to get at least 12 or we would be punished by singing in front of the class.

after lunch we played a game similar to musical chair except that the one who didn't get a chair had to pick someone and say a pickup / flirting line to him/her

a couple of people who came back late from lunch were punished by dancing in front of the class

·
Registered
366 Posts
communications training was a disaster. it was a class of 25 other employees from various divisions. the trainer had us go around asking everyone's unique fact about themselves. we had to get at least 12 or we would be punished by singing in front of the class.

after lunch we played a game similar to musical chair except that the one who didn't get a chair had to pick someone and say a pickup / flirting line to him/her

a couple of people who came back late from lunch were punished by dancing in front of the class
Sounds like hell on earth. I hate activities like that which are just reminiscent of the HORRIBLE days in high school when I actually found myself in these kind of situations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to have a job that required a meeting (that took up the whole work day) once a month, and everyone was expected to present a monthly report of what they've done for their department, and I would dread it.

I had another job where weekly meetings were required, and they would usually last 2-4 hours, and almost everyone had to say/present something, also dreaded it.

I'm hoping I can find a job where meetings aren't required, and I can just focus on working and not waste time listening to people make their presentations - which usually had nothing to do with what I worked on.

·
Chained to my destiny
414 Posts
I just hate meetings and I have many of them. Almost every week I must attend one. I almost never speak at this meetings, but I feel extremely uncomfortable. Sometimes I pretend I'm sick and I run away.
I never speak in the team meetings too whether it be a conference call or in a conference room. :| I become soo stressed that I freeze myself and don't move my hands and legs.

Someone told me that if I don't speak then people would not consider me or ignore me completely as if I am non-existant ;_; And that is precisely what is happening now. My future is dark in my workplace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts