Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Extreme anxiety of the future

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Freedom2010 
#1 ·
Does anyone else fear their lack of future?

It feels for me, as if nothing will "fall into place", and i worry i will be alone etc forever.

Some people in real life have told me i was being silly thinking like this. But how come the majority of people seem to get what they want/need.

It seems impossible to get anywhere, mainly due to embarrasment and anxiety.

I cannot stop thinking about my future!

#4 ·
All the time. :(

#7 ·
Yep, i do fear the future. Will i be alone forever. I will be I just know it, when I lose my parents which are the only people i seem to be comfortable and be myself around. I have my sister, but it looks like i don't have one as we are not close and do not talk and she'll have her life, she'll probably move away, be with her boyfriend, so i will be alone

#15 ·
Sums it up for me. I really only have my parent's in my life. My brother is moving up ranks in the Air Force so I barely talk to him anymore, plus his wife doesn't like me or my parent's. She has driven a big stake between me and my brother.

#11 ·
Worrying about the future causes you to miss out on the present, which is the only time where you can have any influence over the future. It's like standing in the batter's box trying to hit what the pitcher will throw tomorrow.
That makes sense. But this means that i wont have a future, as i'm not doing anything to make a future. :|

#16 ·
I have confirmation in a week cause i'm a Catholic, and i needed to find a sponsor. I was still looking for one when my grandma who is really lonely and has no friends moved here from Florida expecting us all to suddenly drop what we were doing and be all "grandma, we're all so happy ur here, lets all spend every day at your new house and do everything with you cause we don't have our own lives that concern us, and our whole world exists around you." Naturally it didnt go this way, and because she's very oblivious, she got pretty pissed off. then my mom invited her to be my sponsor and now, and she is the most religious freak you'd ever meet, so she's takin it all seriously, and I am really freaked out cause she's already embarrassing enough and now i have to go stand in front of the whole church and all my friends will have their dads and uncles and godfather's as their sponsor and i'll have my freaky, religious dresses so she stands out like a sore thumb grandma as my sponsor. What? That freaks me out. I could go on and on on how much stress she's put on me and my whole family since she's moved here.

#18 ·
I worry about this too, but not as much as I used to, at least at the moment.
It helps not to compare yourself to other people your age.

#19 ·
Well at my age it's not so much worry about my future but just this feeling like I'm stuck in a "Groundhog's Day" movie. I feel like there's something I'm just not getting or seeing and so I keep living the same day over and over again with no change or progress in my life.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
It's good that you're thinking about it to begin with. I'm really worried about mine as well; I can't hang onto the apron strings forever.

Also, are you worrying about your personal or professional life?
Both.

#22 ·
I'm scared of the future too, and being alone for the rest of my life. I know the thought is very unrealistic- but it still scares me. I just try to be optomistic though and focus on what I can do right at this moment to prevent that from happening. SA has already caused me to miss so much from my life, and I really don't want to miss any more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.