Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else fear their lack of future?

It feels for me, as if nothing will "fall into place", and i worry i will be alone etc forever.

Some people in real life have told me i was being silly thinking like this. But how come the majority of people seem to get what they want/need.

It seems impossible to get anywhere, mainly due to embarrasment and anxiety.

I cannot stop thinking about my future!

·
Loser
207 Posts
I ruminate over and over this everyday. Will I ever have a job? Will I be lonely forever? My head is spinning.

·
PreciousGleamingMcNugget
5,593 Posts
All the time. :(

·
Registered
444 Posts
The future is very scary, so I do my best not to think about it. Baby steps, just gotta make it through college then I'll worry about career, etc etc.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I worry about the future all the time. I'm quite sure I will meet with a violent end, either by my own hand, or someone else's when I'm living on the streets as a crazy homeless person.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
Yep, i do fear the future. Will i be alone forever. I will be I just know it, when I lose my parents which are the only people i seem to be comfortable and be myself around. I have my sister, but it looks like i don't have one as we are not close and do not talk and she'll have her life, she'll probably move away, be with her boyfriend, so i will be alone

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I worry about my future. I find myself getting depressed over it more on my birthdays and on New years eve's. Sometimes i am unable to sleep from worrying about what my future holds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Worrying about the future causes you to miss out on the present, which is the only time where you can have any influence over the future. It's like standing in the batter's box trying to hit what the pitcher will throw tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I often worry about the future, I've only begun to get a hold of it. For myself, REBT/Albert Ellis has been a God-send, in terms of rationalizing my thinking so my anxiety has fallen back in that respect.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worrying about the future causes you to miss out on the present, which is the only time where you can have any influence over the future. It's like standing in the batter's box trying to hit what the pitcher will throw tomorrow.
That makes sense. But this means that i wont have a future, as i'm not doing anything to make a future. :|

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sometimes I think SA people, or people with anxiety, worry so much about the future because it gives them less anxiety than worrying about the present. If you're worrying about the present, that means you have to face the possibility of ACTING differently.

·
Registered
591 Posts
whenever i start to worry about the future I remember this quote: Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Yep, i do fear the future. Will i be alone forever. I will be I just know it, when I lose my parents which are the only people i seem to be comfortable and be myself around. I have my sister, but it looks like i don't have one as we are not close and do not talk and she'll have her life, she'll probably move away, be with her boyfriend, so i will be alone
Sums it up for me. I really only have my parent's in my life. My brother is moving up ranks in the Air Force so I barely talk to him anymore, plus his wife doesn't like me or my parent's. She has driven a big stake between me and my brother.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have confirmation in a week cause i'm a Catholic, and i needed to find a sponsor. I was still looking for one when my grandma who is really lonely and has no friends moved here from Florida expecting us all to suddenly drop what we were doing and be all "grandma, we're all so happy ur here, lets all spend every day at your new house and do everything with you cause we don't have our own lives that concern us, and our whole world exists around you." Naturally it didnt go this way, and because she's very oblivious, she got pretty pissed off. then my mom invited her to be my sponsor and now, and she is the most religious freak you'd ever meet, so she's takin it all seriously, and I am really freaked out cause she's already embarrassing enough and now i have to go stand in front of the whole church and all my friends will have their dads and uncles and godfather's as their sponsor and i'll have my freaky, religious dresses so she stands out like a sore thumb grandma as my sponsor. What? That freaks me out. I could go on and on on how much stress she's put on me and my whole family since she's moved here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All I can say is that I hope everything goes well for you all. I know what you guys mean. I have been dealing with this for years. Now that I know what SAD is I feel like I can control it. I think we are all very introverted and not extroverted. Just remember to stay calm.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
I worry about this too, but not as much as I used to, at least at the moment.
It helps not to compare yourself to other people your age.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well at my age it's not so much worry about my future but just this feeling like I'm stuck in a "Groundhog's Day" movie. I feel like there's something I'm just not getting or seeing and so I keep living the same day over and over again with no change or progress in my life.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's good that you're thinking about it to begin with. I'm really worried about mine as well; I can't hang onto the apron strings forever.

Also, are you worrying about your personal or professional life?
Both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts