Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My closest friend since highschool pretty much had the same issues I've had all my life, we weren't the most accepted people, and we were easily just shed off as the 'geeks'.

He took an exposure treatment weekend about 2 months ago, and It's as if I've met a new person, he has no fear, no anxiety, he's able to talk to strangers and he's even been on dates.

It took him ages to convince me to take the treatment, and I've signed up for it but I'm really nervous. I don't know if it'll work for me, I don't know if this is the actual answer, and I don't know if I'll be able to go through with it. I know its so easy to just say 'go through with it, and you'll see' but Im petrified.

I'm actually thinking of calling it off all together or just not going to the weekend therapy. I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I just want people's thoughts.

Am I actually crazy for thinking of calling it off? There's a money back guarantee, but at this point that's not what im worried about, I'm worried of being in situations that I don't want to be in. Even though I know this might be the cure im looking for

·
Pastry Case
1,065 Posts
If you can see such a dramatic change in your friend then it seems worth giving it a go. Your mindset may be different from his even though you both had the same 'symptoms' so it may not work for you but you've got this far ...... go on, give it a go and report back to us!

·
.:focused:...
223 Posts
You are not crazy for wanting to call it off. It's hella scary, and petrifying, to put yourself out there. However, once you do it, it will become easier. Just thinking about it brings up these automatic negative thoughts and anxiety, which are a b****! But do it. don't go with the expectation that things will be great. Go out there, make mistakes and even look like a fool. And if you are scared, then go at it at your own pace, but don't stop!
I'm on the same boat as you. I am going out more with a group and I am feeling better.
good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thank you for the support I just finished the 2 day treatment. I honestly have no words for what I went through, just wow. I did things I never thought were possible, I spoke to so many strangers, and I was out there for the full weekend ! I didn't back down! I even got a date for this coming weekend !

I really don't know where to begin, it was far from easy, even now I'm still shaking with adrenaline as to what I've accomplished. This really has been the best weekend of my life, and I owe it all to my best friend for pushing me to do the therapy, and you guys for keeping me from backing out :)

I was given 'homework' after the treatment and told to keep practising every day so I don't relapse, I've made a vow to do so.

I hope this incredible change lasts, I can't believe the things I did, what a weekend. I'm sorry if I'm too excited I just don't know where else to express this!

Hope everyone had a great weekend ! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Interesting, I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

I'd be curious to hear more about what this treatment was, if you don't mind. What kind of things did they have you do? Was this specifically geared towards people with SA?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's specific to SA.

I had to sign a form that says I'm not allowed to give out the exercise details that we went through. It was basically different types of exercises out in public, and each one was for a different purpose, in the sense that I reached a different goal with each one. The first day was REALLY emotionally and physically draining, I went home and fell asleep by 8 PM, the next day I already felt alot better ( and slight disbelief). It was the second day that I was able to approach a girl and speak to her and then get her number and arrange for a date. I never thought I was capable of something like that.

I can safely say I've never felt this good before, I think it's going to help me interview for a job more of my potential so I can finally quick this dead end desk job ( at Geico).

If anyone has any more questions I'd be happy to help :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's specific to SA.

I had to sign a form that says I'm not allowed to give out the exercise details that we went through. It was basically different types of exercises out in public, and each one was for a different purpose, in the sense that I reached a different goal with each one. The first day was REALLY emotionally and physically draining, I went home and fell asleep by 8 PM, the next day I already felt alot better ( and slight disbelief). It was the second day that I was able to approach a girl and speak to her and then get her number and arrange for a date. I never thought I was capable of something like that.

I can safely say I've never felt this good before, I think it's going to help me interview for a job more of my potential so I can finally quick this dead end desk job ( at Geico).

If anyone has any more questions I'd be happy to help :)
Thanks for the response. Sounds like it was a pretty intense experience, I hope it will have lasting effects.

Does this program have a name, or a website that you are able to share? You've really piqued my curiosity!

·
⚰️👻
3,534 Posts
^ I'm really curious about the name of this program as well. Sounds pretty incredible. I'm glad it's working out so well for you. It takes a lot of courage to do something like this. Hopefully things just continue to get better/easier from here on out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That sounds incredible! Congrats on the progress. Curious to hear more about it if you decide to continue it. (Also, yes, do you have details on it? Is it just called Exposure Therapy or what?)

I would definitely look into something like this if there was one near me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This sounds exactly like what Pickup artist bootcamp. I think it's surprisingly perfect for someone with social anxiety for 3 reasons.

1. Exposure (through behaviour)
2. Mindset (Better and non-anxiety provoking way to process cognition)
3. Social skills.

No therapy I have seen, at least in UK. Even therapists practicing CBT can give exposure or social skill. Only mindset but without other two it's rather ineffective.

I say social skill is important because when we spend most of time like at school avoiding ways to talk, new ways to interact other people are doing it and learning social skills.

For me it hasn't helped with girl and I wasn't able to get number although I guess I did get a kiss? I still have no luck with girls and partly because anxiety with only girls are probably so strong I need to find another way.

Btw when I came back to my home town and meet up with school friends they couldn't believe what I was able to do either they were all blown away.

It helped me with social anxiety massively and it's because of exposure. If you look into research rather ironic thing is to "fix/cure" any phobia including social anxiety you have to get exposed to your phobia in a right way to get your brain desensitized.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Damn I can't seem to edit but if you look around the forum a LOT of people have hints of way they talk about things where they are refering to pick up material. I was really surprised but if you haven't looked into that self-help you wouldn't know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, actually that's a good question I'm not sure if there's a website for it I'll ask and let you know the link !

As for the treatment, it was with a Psychiatrist (MD) here in Long Island New York (and also his intern), and the way it works is I went in for my initial evaluation. This process was short but it was just to get a feel for where I was.

Then I was taken out for a total of 12 hours (6 hours saturday 6 hours sunday) doing several exercises while measuring some of my physical responses, and answering a few questions at the beginning and end of the treatment (there was definitely a huge change in the readings, not just the physical ones, I myself felt less anxious as the treatment went on, compared to how petrified I was beforehand).

I have the contact number if anyone wants to call and find out more directly from them.

As for 'pick up', erm, I'm not really familiar with that sort of thing, I guess I can see how exposure can be similar, but then again, you could label any situation in society where you aren't afraid as a potential 'pick up' ? Again I haven't looked into it so I don't really know about that stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey great where can I join this bootcamp

Hi Stephen here from Long Island I am interested in your post. I want the doctors name and number please I want to get over my social anxiety like you have with this doctor. Also how much is the cost just so I know? Please respond I really need thsi 2 day bootcamp

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey sorry I was away for the weekend.

The office number I have is 917 705 3934, you'll get to speak to someone who will explain all the steps on how it works, also there is an evaluation phase before hand just to make sure you are eligible for the treatment course.

I hope that helps ! :)

Also good luck ! I really hope this works for you like it did for me ! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm trying to find additional programs to help me over come my social anxiety issues. Just curious, has anyone else tried this program?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts