Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to eloquently avoid or explain your lack of a social life to your new friends or significant other? Is their a best strategy or way to say it in other words that avoids diving into too much detail or makes people question why that was how you behaved before?

I've thought about it and was thinking I could say (which is true too a slight degree) my college friends were the people I hung out with until they moved away. As far as girls, which again isn't a total lie, I could say I've dated but not yet found someone.

I'm not trying to worry too much about what others think of me, this is my attempt to create a collective brainstorm in how all of us can address any questions like this that may come up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think about this all the time. What will ppl think of me if I did get better and become a social butterfly. Theyll probably still think Im weird for being antisocial for the past 21 years of my life. All you can do is live your life. We cant always worry about what other ppl will think of us.

·
Big Damn Hero
890 Posts
I'd probably go with the 'people moving away for college / after college / for jobs / drifting away from people / all my friends spending too much time with their girlfriends I never see them grr / etc.

I feel a bit more comfortable talking about the past and anxiety etc these days as I feel a bit more distanced from it now that I've made significant progress. It's easier to talk about something negative when you've taken huge steps to overcoming it.

I think about this all the time. What will ppl think of me if I did get better and become a social butterfly. Theyll probably still think Im weird for being antisocial for the past 21 years of my life.
Honestly, I can get people not understanding. But I don't think anyone can legitimately judge someone who's been through this and managed to overcome it. If they do, they aren't worth knowing. It may even seem arrogant sometimes but I have no time for people who'll judge others for things like this.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Just be honest about it your not a criminal or something. Sometime we talk about our anxiety like we are secret mass murderers.

·
living
455 Posts
all that helped me was not official books, texts of religion or working selfhelp or anything external. i just stared into abyss of my being{being that you are now in this life} for great many times and i noticed that all is not dark. i self-reflected untill i could cry tears of happiness and joy. and i think it was from seeing light within myself and i just took it for sign that i must use mental tricks to steer myself of getting better.

ofc i still feel real bad moods creeping in, i just accept them and try to mitigate bad feels with those mind tricks or just creative thinking and eventually i am who i am.

i struggle with dark stuff, but i know it is not enough to take me down and i can always find a way out, i don't even need to trust myself, because i know i can do it and past is only proof that i can overcome the bad stuff ^_^

try helping yourself as hard as you can before turning elsewhere, please! this comment is rather essential, but eventually you woulda though of same thing if you actually wanted to get better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts