Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm currently an 18 year old male living in England with no job, hobbies and I haven't spoken to the majority of my friends for almost a year with the exception of my best friend who I only speak to occasionally over the internet.

I've let SA destroy me and my life thus far. I left school as soon as I could because I couldn't handle it, quit 2 jobs the same day I got them & eventually quit college after coping for a month or two because of the strain.

I spend all day every day in my safe haven which is my bedroom.

I've told my mother about this but never felt I was taken seriously although she was supportive. I tell her, she sympathises then days later will make comments about me needing to get a life, get a job etc.

Today I was going to go out with my brother and his baby son for the day but this came up at really short notice. I didn't want to let them down as I adore my nephew but this caused the biggest panic attack I've ever had. My heart felt like it was going to explode and I started sweating which I don't usually do... Then I broke down in front of my mother which caused her to cry. She then offered to take me to the doctor tomorrow and I now genuinely feel she has an inkling of understanding of what I go through.

Now my problem is how do I go about explaining to my doctor that I feel I have SA? I'll feel so stupid if I go in and say something along the lines of "Hi, I've got Social Anxiety, that's right I've diagnosed myself!" but on the other hand I'm REALLY worried that I won't explain fully and he'll pass it off as just being shy or say I'm completely normal but I know that's not the case considering the fact that I haven't been more than 10 minutes away from my house for around a year. I feel so debilitated and just want to get help.

How did you guys approach and explain to your doctor when the time came that you went for help?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, welcome to SAS :)

I would explain it to your doctor just as you have explained it to us...or, if you feel you can't verbalise it, write it down and let him read it for himself. At the very least, writing things down will help you to remember what you wanted to say at the visit if the nerves strike.

You don't need to use the diagnostic term of 'social anxiety disorder', instead you can say that you feel anxious or nervous to the point of panic whenever you have to mix with other people and give some examples.

It's great that you have support from your Mum. Take her into the Doc's with you if that would make it easier and if you feel comfortable doing so. She may be able to help to explain things from a different perspective.

Good luck with it. It sounds like you are on the right track by going to see someone. Try to be open and as honest as you can...and if you don't feel as though you are being 'heard', make them listen. You need to get some help so you can start the healing process.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Hey guys.

I'm currently an 18 year old male living in England with no job, hobbies and I haven't spoken to the majority of my friends for almost a year with the exception of my best friend who I only speak to occasionally over the internet.

I've let SA destroy me and my life thus far. I left school as soon as I could because I couldn't handle it, quit 2 jobs the same day I got them & eventually quit college after coping for a month or two because of the strain.

I've told my mother about this but never felt I was taken seriously although she was supportive. I tell her, she sympathises then days later will make comments about me needing to get a life, get a job etc.

Today I was going to go out with my brother and his baby son for the day but this came up at really short notice. I didn't want to let them down as I adore my nephew but this caused the biggest panic attack I've ever had. My heart felt like it was going to explode and I started sweating which I don't usually do... Then I broke down in front of my mother which caused her to cry. She then offered to take me to the doctor tomorrow and I now genuinely feel she has an inkling of understanding of what I go through.

Now my problem is how do I go about explaining to my doctor that I feel I have SA? I'll feel so stupid if I go in and say something along the lines of "Hi, I've got Social Anxiety, that's right I've diagnosed myself!" but on the other hand I'm REALLY worried that I won't explain fully and he'll pass it off as just being shy or say I'm completely normal but I know that's not the case considering the fact that I haven't been more than 10 minutes away from my house for around a year. I feel so debilitated and just want to get help.

How did you guys approach and explain to your doctor when the time came that you went for help?
Hello!

I thought about this too because I am interested in getting therapy. I'm afraid that the doctor will say that I'm normal when I know and I feel that there is something wrong with me! It's not that I want there to be something wrong with me. I just want it acknowledged because I know exactly how I feel and why I feel it. I don't need a therapist to figure out what is wrong with me since I've figured it out on my own. I just need help to become better. I'm going to straight up tell the doctor how I feel and that I'm tired of being afraid of everthing.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Hey guys.

dont worry about it. your doctor will fully understand. in you went in there and sed :

''hi, ive been having these serious problems recently . the thing is i get really anxious in social situations. now its not just shyness, its alot worse and it is really interfering with my life as ive had to quit jobs cos of it and i spend a lot of time in my bedroom. ive heard of social anxiety disorder and im pretty sure thats what the problem is ''

then your doctor would fully understand. your doctor knows what socail anxiety is

although your doctor will understand , its still not something id recommnd you do. the reason i say this is cos all the doctor can do is give you medication or refere you to a counsellor of some sort ( which usuall arent very usefull.

my advice would be for you to first read gillian bulers book overcoming socal anxiey and shynes. and get fmilair wih this disorder. read the book so that you fully understand sa an how it works

once you have that understnding then you can decide for yur self what you want t do about it . now your options are :

*go and see your doctor to get medicaton
*see the doctor to get refered to a counsellor
*see a cbt therpaist
*do cbt yourslef
*nlp
*thinkrightnow

before you see a doctor just learn about sa and mke up your mind what you wanna do cos all the doctor will do is offer you meds or counsellor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Going in around 30 mins.

*see the doctor to get refered to a counsellor
*see a cbt therpaist
*do cbt yourslef
These interest me the most. I feel really edgy about medication and the side effects it may bring. I'm also wrought with nerves about going to the doctor, ugh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts