Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, did anyone's parents notice on their own that you had SA, or did you need to explain to them?

Secondly, did anyone have any real problems trying to explain this to their parents?

I am 18 and live with my mother and step-father, though I never talk to the latter. My mother refuses to see that there is anything wrong, even though I sometimes go 2 weeks or more without leaving the house, even though I cannot answer the door and sometimes cannot even go in to shops, even though I have no friends...she is quite old and had a rural upbringing, I am not sure she understands what is "normal" for a teenager in a modern urban setting.

I tried to explain that I thought the problems I was having were a result of my dyspraxia, but when I tried that she said I was a hypochondriac, "wallowing in self-pity", "trying to get attention" and that I had been "reading too much on the internet".

If I am to get a social anxiety disorder diagnosis then I will need her to understand rather than try to obstruct, so how can I explain it without sounding like more of a hypochondriac? She seems to think that because I have only started mentioning this to her recently, it must have only started recently so I am just having a "phase" of complaining or something, however this started years ago, I just never thought to mention it to her before as I did not know it had a medical name and might be treatable.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it important for her to understand?
I think so, I have so little social experience I am not even sure how to go about arranging an appointment with the local mental health place on my own...I'd end up calling them and then freezing up with anxiety...how ironic. I really need a socially experienced person to ask for advice on these sorts of things - and I do not know anybody else.

And besides, since she is going to realise if I start trying to get a diagnosis and/or treatment anyway, things will be a lot better in terms of domestic peace if I can get her to understand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.