Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming it's not an abusive or ****ty relationship, assuming it's good, explain to me how you can be sad or have a broken heart.

Broken hearts seem to be the domain of 27 year old lip virgins such as myself.

On a better note, my brother AND sister are harassing me about why I've always been single! As if the misery of the situation itself wasn't miserable enough! Yay!!!

So, now that I've shown how the other side sucks ****ing ***, really, how can people with someone be sad?

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Because live involves more than a significant other. There are health concerns, job concerns, family concerns, money concerns not to mention that depression can strike anyone at any time in any situation. Yes it may be on part of life which you can find some joy in and help you overcome other troubles but having a SO on its own does not guarantee happiness or fulfillment in life.

·
I can't take this...
493 Posts
Well I'm a lot younger than you, but I think this is true of all relationships. More or less. It starts out all cute and fluffy, oh look, he's blushing, how sweet. And then all of a sudden you're in a full-blown relationship. While, yes, it can be beautiful, and the best thing in the world, think about it.... it means opening yourself completely to someone else, and making yourself extremely vulnerable to them. There are a lot of hugs involved, but there's a lot of heartbreak as well. I've heard the quote somewhere that loving someone means giving them the chance to hurt you, and trusting them not to, and I've found that to be very true.

Being in love is great, but it doesn't solve all your problems. It actually creates more.

Fights are the worst thing in the world... because they turn you against each other, and although it kills you to be mad at that person, it's equally painful to hear what they say in their anger. There's a lot of hurt involved on both sides.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Having someone is a lot better than being chrinically single. People are social beings and aren't meant to be isolated. We all need someone. What I especially don't understand is how can a stay at home wife that's in a loving relationship and doesn't even have to work feel depressed. Seriously, what's the problem? Try being by yourself, having to work and do everything on your own all the time and let me know how you feel. Some people are so ungrateful.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
"Assuming it's not an abusive or ****ty relationship"

I'm sure most relationships start well but living with someone would probably get annyoing. Their little habits would start to piss you off. Most couples fight about money and spending. I can see how people get uphappy pretty quickly.

·
I can't take this...
493 Posts
Having someone is a lot better than being chrinically single. People are social beings and aren't meant to be isolated. We all need someone. What I especially don't understand is how can a stay at home wife that's in a loving relationship and doesn't even have to work feel depressed. Seriously, what's the problem? Try being by yourself, having to work and do everything on your own all the time and let me know how you feel. Some people are so ungrateful.
I never said being alone is better. It isn't. But the question was 'how can you be sad' and I tried to answer that.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Because staying at home doing nothing all day may seem like wasting your life to some people (a lot actually). Couldn't imagine how boring it would be and to not have something to aim for from a professional standpoint would be very frustrating for some people.

I can certainly understand how people in that situation would be unhappy.

1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm just ****ing frustrated and not thinking entirely rationally anymore.

I am just...pissed.

If anyone has any advice about how to make my siblings leave me alone, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Because staying at home doing nothing all day may seem like wasting your life to some people (a lot actually). Couldn't imagine how boring it would be and to not have something to aim for from a professional standpoint would be very frustrating for some people.

I can certainly understand how people in that situation would be unhappy.
Then, they should get jobs instead of sitting on their behinds and letting others take care of them. I don't buy the whole stay at home mom thing; it's just an excuse not to work and have someone take care of you.

And for the women with no kids that are just staying at home letting their "dear husbands" and "dear boyfriends" take care of them: Why are you sad? Just get a job and stop relying on others to take care of you since you're so bored.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Then, they should get jobs instead of sitting on their behinds and letting others take care of them. I don't buy the whole stay at home mom thing; it's just an excuse not to work and have someone take care of you.
Possibly, but there may be other reasons. Some people might actually enjoy that lifestyle and if they are able to do so in a financially sound environment then good for them.

Really it comes down to the fact that different people find joy in different things, and just because someone might have something in their life which you believe would make you happy, does not necessarily mean that it a) makes them happy and b) would make you happy if you actually were in that situation.

1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fact that my sister, who acts like a complete ***** most of the time, immediately got a boyfriend after she broke up with her last boyfriend makes me sick. I sit here, unable to be with anyone, and for her it's effortless.

She actually said to me: "You have to meet people."

Would it ever occur to her that I meet lots and lots of (not interested in being with me) people? UGH!

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
The fact that my sister, who acts like a complete ***** most of the time, immediately got a boyfriend after she broke up with her last boyfriend makes me sick. I sit here, unable to be with anyone, and for her it's effortless.

She actually said to me: "You have to meet people."

Would it ever occur to her that I meet lots and lots of (not interested in being with me) people? UGH!
Maybe she is very up front and flirty which makes it easy for guys to get the impression she likes them and they then act on that. You might simply come across as not wanting that kind of attention or seeming disinterested, even if in reality those are not your intentions.

1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both have bothered me in person, they are also discussing it behind my back, both have discussed it with our MOM!!

:puke

My brother said something like "you're my sister, I want you to be happy" blah blah. He apparently doesn't understand that either:

I am single by choice, it's my choice, none of his business, shut the **** up.

OR

I am single because of a problem I have, I can't help my problem, he's making me feel worse, shut the **** up.

I honestly HATE him because of it. And I hate my sister too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Possibly, but there may be other reasons. Some people might actually enjoy that lifestyle and if they are able to do so in a financially sound environment then good for them.

Really it comes down to the fact that different people find joy in different things, and just because someone might have something in their life which you believe would make you happy, does not necessarily mean that it a) makes them happy and b) would make you happy if you actually were in that situation.
I guess. So many adults would like financial help instead of having to do everything on their own, but then you have people that have the luxury of having someone take care of them and they're complaining. I thnk they realize how good they have it because these same women continue to let their spouses take care of them and refuse to work.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I guess. So many adults would like financial help instead of having to do everything on their own, but then you have people that have the luxury of having someone take care of them and they're complaining. I thnk they realize how good they have it because these same women continue to let their spouses take care of them and refuse to work.
Even if that is the case it does not mean they are happy though, and that could be as a result of a multitude of reasons.

1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm a lot younger than you, but I think this is true of all relationships. More or less. It starts out all cute and fluffy, oh look, he's blushing, how sweet. And then all of a sudden you're in a full-blown relationship. While, yes, it can be beautiful, and the best thing in the world, think about it.... it means opening yourself completely to someone else, and making yourself extremely vulnerable to them. There are a lot of hugs involved, but there's a lot of heartbreak as well. I've heard the quote somewhere that loving someone means giving them the chance to hurt you, and trusting them not to, and I've found that to be very true.

Being in love is great, but it doesn't solve all your problems. It actually creates more.

Fights are the worst thing in the world... because they turn you against each other, and although it kills you to be mad at that person, it's equally painful to hear what they say in their anger. There's a lot of hurt involved on both sides.
I don't suppose you considered the fact that I WAS in ****ing love, and WAS vulnerable?

Would you like to know what happened? The feelings weren't returned, and I was abandoned. So yeah, your argument is shot down.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Depression is depression is depression is depression

Social anxiety is social anxiety is social anxiety is social anxiety

No ones social anxiety or depression is less justified than anyone else's because they are all the same, and are all caused by believing distorted irrational negative thinking, not by life circumstances (eg having a partner, having a friend, having family). The problem is the distorted irrational negative thinking, not the lack of friend, family or a partner.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.