Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried repeating daily affirmations? Apparently (says google) it can help with social anxiety and mental health generally. I'm just tried repeating stuff like 'I am confident in social settings' each day...it feels quite weird because ultimately I know it's not true...I've only been going a few days so far and cant say I'm feeling a difference yet but I'm going to keep trying.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried positive affirmations and found they made a difference? Or got any tips on doing it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't tried daily affirmations yet (my daily task is PMR lol), but here is how a therapist explained how they work to me. Maybe that can offer you some encouragement to keep trying?

There was a time where you experienced extreme discomfort in a social setting, which made you think "I feel insecure in social settings" for the first time. Now, every time you'd go to a gathering afterwards, you'd think "Oh god, I feel so insecure". And then, after some time and repetition, these thoughts turn into automatic ones. Ones that our brain just immediately pesters us with as soon as we're in a social situation. Welcome to social anxiety.

It does sound plausible, then, that it could work in reverse, right? You tell yourself the affirmation for the first time, "I am confident in social settings". Now, every day, you tell yourself again, and multiple times, "I am confident in social settings". And after some time and repetition, these thoughts turn into automatic ones. Ones that our brain just immediately pesters us with as soon as we go out.

You need to give your brain the time it needs to rewire, though, and feeling a difference after a few days would be a miracle - generally, it is said that it takes about a month or more to feel a difference. :) And not believing the affirmation is perfectly natural too. Just continue repeating.(y)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts