Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just started pramipexole a few months ago and would like to hear other people's experiences with it.

I'm two days into 2.5mg and so far I feel more dysphoric. High anxiety and more depressed. I've also had a depressive episode happen when I first went to 2mg.

I know pramipexole is suppose to make you feel worse before it makes you feel better but I thought that it's only at lower doses. So far it's made me feel tired, dull, depressed and also anxious.

Do I just have to stay at the dose and wait it out until my brain recalibrate to the pramipexole? Or maybe increase the dose?

My psychiatrist wants to increase the dose by 0.5mg every week until I reach 5mg. If I find a dose in between that helps me I should stay on that dose for 4 weeks. He has several patients on prami and has experience with it.

Anyone have any similiar experiences with the medication. Did you feel dysphoric before you felt better?

Any experience or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hey West333, welcome to the forum. Just curious but could you tell me what the medication is being prescribed for in your case? Pramipexole works on the dopamine system. Usually used for Parkinson's disease. However I have heard of it being used for treatment resistant depression. Generally speaking I would think that stimulant medications would be more effective for treating certain aspects of depression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey West333, welcome to the forum. Just curious but could you tell me what the medication is being prescribed for in your case? Pramipexole works on the dopamine system. Usually used for Parkinson's disease. However I have heard of it being used for treatment resistant depression. Generally speaking I would think that stimulant medications would be more effective for treating certain aspects of depression.
I'm using it to treat treatment resistance depression which is also somewhere on the bipolar spectrum.

It's weird because I have a depressive episode everytime I up my dose when you think the opposite would have happen. Also, I feel sort of numb. Which shouldn't really happen when you're increasing dopamine.

Just wondering if other people have similiar experiences.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'm using it to treat treatment resistance depression which is also somewhere on the bipolar spectrum.

It's weird because I have a depressive episode everytime I up my dose when you think the opposite would have happen. Also, I feel sort of numb. Which shouldn't really happen when you're increasing dopamine.

Just wondering if other people have similiar experiences.
So your response doesn't surprise me. Taking a drug that works on the dopamine system doesn't guarantee a mood lifting or pro- motivation effect to take place. The only dopamine acting medications that could by themselves do such a thing are the stimulant medications like ritalin or adderall.

I understand that you are treating treatment resistant depression. Based on the research that I've done, the medication Parnate seems to have a really good reputation for treating treatment resistant depression. Dr. Ken Gilman talks a lot about Parnate. Check out his website psychotropical.com

Parnate is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor that works on many neurotransmitters including dopamine. I'd be curious to know what your experience with serotonin acting medications have been.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I understand that more dopamine -more happy is not necessarily true.
I’m just disappointed because pramipexole is suppose to be very efficious. Especially for bipolar and anhedonia.

nardil/parnate is very much a last resort. I am not interested in limiting my diet.

I’m going to 3mg tonight per my psychiatrists instructions. Perhaps I’ll get lucky at a higher dose.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yep I understand that more dopamine -more happy is not necessarily true.
I’m just disappointed because pramipexole is suppose to be very efficious. Especially for bipolar and anhedonia.

nardil/parnate is very much a last resort. I am not interested in limiting my diet.

I’m going to 3mg tonight per my psychiatrists instructions. Perhaps I’ll get lucky at a higher dose.
Have you ever tried the stimulant medications like adderall or dexedrine? I don't recommend ritalin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts