Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if anyone could suggest some physical exercise I could take while having SA? I'm really scared of doing it (I haven't exercised (beyond walking a lot) for the past 5 years, and back then I was still at school), but I want to take more responsibility for my health, and I hear it might help me with my self-esteem.

I'm very very scared of doing anything that would have other people see my arms or legs (I'm actually feeling a little sick just thinking about it as I type this...), so anything like swimming or tennis wouldn't work for me. Obviously I don't really want to be around a lot of people so I'm not considering anything competitive. I'm also living with my parents at the moment, and - I know it sounds weird since they should be a position of support - I am really worried about even suggesting to them that I want to do exercise, so I don't want to be doing it at home.

I guess what I'm asking is, could anyone suggest things for me to do that could help me to exercise on a regular basis that doesn't require me to show off more than my hands and head or to be around a large group of people? If I had a good suggestion and it worked out (hah! Unintended pun...), I could imagine myself getting more confident and considering more alternatives. I might be able to conquer some of my fears. But I really have no idea where to start; just getting out of the house is a challenge in itself. Any advice?

·
Registered
328 Posts
pushups and running/jogging in place to some music or a movie. also diet, lots and lots of water and no eating like a pig.

·
computer says no
605 Posts
running is not free - you need correct type of shoe for your foot type or you risk shin splints / runners knee / joint damage. But running can be done anywhere so long as the ground is soft so you dont damage your knees. Any dirt path will do, so many hiking trails have no one for miles.

biking: people like to ride in the city but you can use a mountain bike and hit trails that are a void of human life.

swimming: the ocean is great but if you are not a good swimmer or dont have fins this is not a good idea. lakes have the same issue but you have to deal with motor boats. I have seen at the pools i go to only 2-3 people are actually in the water at any one time. I even saw to my horror this fat old dude take off his speedo and swim nude and the life guard did not give a single ****.

·
Registered
331 Posts

·
Moving Towards Destiny
1,835 Posts
Swimming !!!!!!!

That is what I have been doing and it helps a lot for feeling better !
It drastically improves the circulation and especially that to the brain and you feel brighter and happier !!!!!!

·
today's a beautiful day
2,217 Posts
Nanuki
biking: people like to ride in the city but you can use a mountain bike and hit trails that are a void of human life.
That's right. Cycling changed my life. I do 40km/ 25 miles per day. Yes today did to. It's awesome. Endorphins afterwards. You'll feel happier. You'll lose fat and you're body will get better shape. Your self-esteem will skyrocket. Recommend country side, you'll enjoy scenery.

One more thing. Cycling thought me that i can actually do everything. five years ago I saw a small steep hill and thought that's impossible to climb. But with hard work and will and hours on the bike, I now manage to climb the steepest of them hills and mountains. So now I can do "impossible". It's that super realization that many things in life from the very start look impossible to overcome but with hard work and devotion I can overcome almost everything. So I will one day SAD. And on the bike u can practice saying hello to strangers u drive by. I make it a rule to say hi, hello or good evening to any person I drive by. it's much easier than whilst walking, because u get to and away of person more quickly. Now i can say hello to complete strangers on the street while walking with no problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, I've recently lost 30 lbs so I think I could help :)
I used Myfitnesspal which is an app you can use to track calories. People explain to you how many calories you should eat to lose weight.

As for exercise, running is very effective and you can just run around the block or in the evening (when most people are inside). I run with my dog because I feel like people won't bother me when I'm with him. He's huge.
And if you really don't want to go outside, try home workout videos, like Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred or a beachbody programme (very effective but expensive), or even youtube videos (i recommend lionsgate befit).

That all really helped me, I hope it can help you too!

·
Registered
331 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts