Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some issues these days (well I pretty much always have issues but that isnt the point) that have been nagging at me and yesterday was particularly bad. I have some really heavy things sitting on my shoulders. Finding relaxation and relief of anxiety is vital to me right now.

For the last 3 weeks, I have been seriously working out after a long lapse. Today, while on the elliptical, I could really feel the endorphins or whatever washing over me and I realized how much I liked what I was doing because its something, perhaps the only thing, in my life that I have complete control over. I felt powerful and strong. And when I was lifting weights after the cardio, I saw someone from work which normally would set off the anxiety alarms but I focused on ME and the weight that I was lifting, the music in my ears and NOTHING else. It was ****ing great. I left the gym feeling like I could fly. If only one could bottle that feeling for later use.

Anyway my point, if I even have one, is that exercise is a STRONG anxiety reliever and I wish I could get everyone on SAS to try it. One member comes to mind as I have asked that member to try it since they have tried just about every pharmaceutical on the planet. So many (me included) are willing to try drugs when a natural solution is availabe to all of us that WORKS. I had NO success with wellbutrin or celexa and a multitude of side effects. I get far more from working out than I ever got from pills.

Its not the be all, end all but its a good, positive thing to be doing.

·
Bomb Diggity
104 Posts
Yeah I just wish I could get to that point in motivating myself enough to do work out. Ya know?
I mean I can go for walks a lot that's one thing I'm good at sometimes. Like I'll just not second guess it and just as soon as i wake up I put on my exercise clothes and then head out of the door without doing anything else. I try not to plan it or anything because i know I'd procrastinate but.. other works out like weight lifting and such I just can't do it because of the people that might be around or will be around. I just hate it when there are others around yet it's hard to motivate myself to do it in my own home :p Then i just start goofing off.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Anyway my point, if I even have one, is that exercise is a STRONG anxiety reliever and I wish I could get everyone on SAS to try it. One member comes to mind as I have asked that member to try it since they have tried just about every pharmaceutical on the planet. So many (me included) are willing to try drugs when a natural solution is availabe to all of us that WORKS. I had NO success with wellbutrin or celexa and a multitude of side effects. I get far more from working out than I ever got from pills.
Totally agree. :) Since I started getting some exercise (running twice a week) my mood has improved immensely. I didn't do any for a couple of weeks and I couldn't believe how crappy I felt - irritable, angry and depressed. I got back into it a few days ago and felt 10 times better almost straight away.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i exercise so often that it is basically a part of my life, a task that is just done. If I dont exercise i will feel terrible and guilty; and when I do I can at least feel good about something. But I think my working out has caused me to become a little obsessed with acheiving a certain look.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I've just started exercising again and it helps a lot. It definitely helps me feel better about myself. Though I have to agree with Tusenskona, sitting on the couch trying to convince myself that I'll enjoy it is very difficult. But I try to force myself anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Exercise has done wonders for me too. I like to think about all the things that piss me off at the gym and leave feeling much better...your heart will also be able to handle stress much better which helps a lot with SAD. Have you tried cutting sugar from your diet? I'm still working on that but it has helped with my anxiety and mood when I do stick to it.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think I could completely cut out sugar if my life depended on it; I like to eat chocolate. :)

I have been making a concerted effort to eat more fruits and veggies and eat better in general but I am not over the top about either. I work with someone who is fanatical about no sugar, no flour, no salt etc etc and while I admire their resolve and willpower, I dont think I could do that. I try to eat smart though.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I started doing aerobic workouts like Tae Bo & a few others early this year, I'm up to the more advanced workouts now and have lost around 30 pounds so far. I have noticed that it does help my anxiety and depression a bit.

I dont think I could completely cut out sugar if my life depended on it; I like to eat chocolate. :)

I have been making a concerted effort to eat more fruits and veggies and eat better in general but I am not over the top about either. I work with someone who is fanatical about no sugar, no flour, no salt etc etc and while I admire their resolve and willpower, I dont think I could do that. I try to eat smart though.
I have also made an effort to eat better. I have stopped adding salt to most foods I eat and don't put sugar on my cereal any more (a bad habit I learned as a kid), but I don't think I could completely cut them out of my diet either.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't know if I'd go quite so far as to say exercise has worked wonders for me (at least not at this stage) but I've definitely found it makes some difference! I've found going for a walk often helps, and also recently picked up a home exercise dvd and have started doing doing some of the routines from that - which also has. I'm hoping that once I'm fitter, and can progress to doing them for longer time periods - I'll experience more benefit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts