Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I last have been here. A bit of my background: I have social anxiety and Depression. I have been on Effexor and went up all the way to 300 mg. It worked pretty well, but the side effects (sexual effects and weight gain) had forced me to go off. I also was on Klonopin before. Klonopin helped a lot. My SAD/Depression was much better, but now they are back... I am starting to think it's going to be a lifelong thing (sigh). Based on my experiences, I hate to take medications, but sometimes my anxiety and depression are so bad to the point where I may have to take them. I already have a script for Effexor at home but am scared to take it again due to knowing the side effects that I will be on. Effexor out of MANY SSRI/SSNI, etc is the best one for me.

Someone suggested that I give exercise a try? I am not talking about regular exercise, but I'm talking about serious intense exercise. That person has said that exercise and excellent nutrition can significantly reduce anxiety and depression to nonexistent levels. I am wondering if anyone has tried that path and find that to be true? If anyone has tried serious exercise/great nutrition without medication, how does that COMPARE to being on medication???

Only if Effexor has no side effects, then this wouldn't be any issue. (sigh)...

Thank you in advance,

DeafBoy36

·
Registered
553 Posts
in my experience it works WONDERS or depression but only a little for anxiety. For a while I jogged every morning for 8 kilometers, that's like 5 or 6 miles I think. And I felt amazing mentally. No depression at all, and I had loads of energy BUT my anxiety was still there. And I found all that extra energy I had equated to nervous energy and tension. Still felt way better then without exercise though. put it this way I guess, it's the best anti-depressant I've ever taken but not much for anxiety

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Here I got a better idea, why not do BOTH?

·
Reposed in awesomeness...
2,278 Posts
When I was on citalopram I couldn't exercise. Not that I didn't have any energy but I just couldn't get my mind geared into it. That and the anhedonia made me decide I really did't like that medication. Exercise is the only thing in my life that I can enjoy so I don't want something that is going to take that away from me. Otherwise, as DR. House suggested, why not do both?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I havent been on any medication but I can guarantee that exercise will greatly reduce your depression and keep you in a stable mood. Its also helped a lot with confidence but the anxiety is still there.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts