Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting progressively more depressed and I keep hearing how much exercise helps.
But how can I find motivation to exercise when I barely have the motivation to keep myself alive? (Also, I just started singing Queen in my head.)

· Registered
3,625 Posts
Well what goals do you have in mind towards fitness? Is it just for happiness?

· Registered
1,388 Posts
I've been getting progressively more depressed and I keep hearing how much exercise helps.
But how can I find motivation to exercise when I barely have the motivation to keep myself alive? (Also, I just started singing Queen in my head.)
ive personally found that in the early stages of doing fitness, you can't think of it too much. most people expect to see results RLY fast, or expect to feel amazing the next day, when this dosent happen until a few weeks into it. If i were you, i wouldnt think of it at all. just do it. dont ask yourself why you're doing it, just do it.

· Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well what goals do you have in mind towards fitness? Is it just for happiness?
The goals would be to make myself feel better. Also my doctor bugs me about losing weight. He stopped bugging me about it when I started hurting myself. It was like "You're sadder than you are fat. Let's fix that first."

Also, thanks wxolue.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
How did you yourself if you don't me asking?

I agree with wxolue, you have to kind force yourself into it, but it's important to do something that you would enjoy. Exercise doesn't have to be intense, although if you find you want to accelerate your progress, you'd have to turn up in the intensity. But given any injuries, you have to start out slow and easy.

It's also important to find someone that interests you. What do you enjoy doing?

· Registered
199 Posts
The key is to get addicted to exercise. Then, you won't need any motivation. You go to the gym because you just have to. There isn't any if, ands, or buts about it. A few years ago I never exercised. I started to on and off and had stretches in between when I didn't do anything at all. When I started a stressful job, I decided to go for a run one evening and noticed that I felt and performed overall about 20% better. A little less stress, a little more mental clarity, a little better sleep, etc. The job was so stressful that I felt I needed that 20% edge that I started running every other day. Then it progressed to every day. Now, if I skip a day, which only happens if I am sick or injured, I feel horrible. I feel very stressed out and I actually have this toxic or dirty sensation. It is very bothersome. So, now I am addicted to exercise. It will take a few months at least to get to this point, so at first you got to push yourself. I think you will find regular exercise will give your mood a significant boost.

· Registered
146,606 Posts
The key is to get addicted to exercise. Then, you won't need any motivation. You go to the gym because you just have to. There isn't any if, ands, or buts about it. A few years ago I never exercised. I started to on and off and had stretches in between when I didn't do anything at all. When I started a stressful job, I decided to go for a run one evening and noticed that I felt and performed overall about 20% better. A little less stress, a little more mental clarity, a little better sleep, etc. The job was so stressful that I felt I needed that 20% edge that I started running every other day. Then it progressed to every day. Now, if I skip a day, which only happens if I am sick or injured, I feel horrible. I feel very stressed out and I actually have this toxic or dirty sensation. It is very bothersome. So, now I am addicted to exercise. It will take a few months at least to get to this point, so at first you got to push yourself. I think you will find regular exercise will give your mood a significant boost.
Yes it does. Friday will be the NINTH anniversary of the day I started exercising. I have fought like all get out to run on some days. I really start to feel it when I miss more than one outing. It takes consistency or the body will try to get you out of doing it. I am presently fighting to lose any weight I gained during the winter (I only ran three times a week since it was down around 15F and lower at times here!). I am back up to four times (6 miles each - it has taken me that long to work up to it!). By April and May, I would liketo add bicycling to it again - the wind is too cold right now :afr.

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like I just really need to get to that 21 day point where it becomes a habit.
^this. music helps also, and if you have anyone thats interested, doing it with someone helps. I would also suggest finding a workout program. I use P90X because my parents bought it, but there are many other programs out there. Don't put it off until late in the evening, because you wont get as much out of it, and you might be to tired to start. and wait an hour after you eat.

· Banned
95 Posts
I just found the best motivation to do things. JUST DO IT. Make yourself do things you need to do. Just remember that nothing will change if you won't step up doing stuff. No one will make things for you. You just have to make yourself.

· Registered
719 Posts
I suppose a few things motivate me:
- The buzz after exercise and the feeling of alertness/energy
- Feeling fitter...seeing other people get puffed out while you barely break a sweat is damn satisfying.
- Exercising gives me a feeling of control which is really gratifying and empowering.
- Listening to music and possibly...singing..okay I said it...

· Registered
95 Posts
i do it with a friend, so we kinda hold each other accountable.....and , but there's sooooo many hot guys at the gym that we also go to see which pieces of eye candy...(but idk if ur really interested in getting a gym membership) which is another motivation...i pay so much money, i might as well go...also music, music, MUSIC helps tons, with a nice fast song....and like others have mentioned, when ur work urself hard u get that spike of endorphines....i always find that after i exercise, i'm in a much better mood than before and plus another good thing, is when u start seeing results...i've noticed i have MUCH MUCH better endurance and my body is rapidly slimming down....also, another motivation is the summer time...if u set goals about the poundage u wanna lose by the summer, it'll help u get urself up and working out...yes some days are so HARD and my brain is like 'just give up', but i know that deep down, if i did, i'd never be able to forgive myself especially if i fall back in the old habits and i don't wanna regret not working out hard enough by the summer.....but not only does exercise help, but changing ur diet would work wonders as well. i've noticed that by eating healthier, i don't get as depressed as i used to....so u might wanna consider that as well....but good luck with everything!

· Registered
619 Posts
I stay motivated by varying my activities. I find if I do one type of exercise over and over it gets old fast.
Same here. If you happen to have Directv, their is a channel called FitTv that has some interesting shows.

· Registered
113 Posts
I think its all about picking something that will interest you and that you will enjoy. Something that really helped me was karate. Fitness and knowing that you can defend yourself can really raise your confidence. But if you're uncomfortable with all the social interaction, why not try something like riding a bike? Or swimming? Or even just walking. Once you start regularly exercising you're hooked. At least that's my experience. After a good workout you get a huge high, and if one day you skip your routine, you feel terrible. But once you're hooked you'll find yourself becoming more and more motivated to try exercising in different ways, and to exercise more often. And your confidence goes up by watching your body can more and more toned and just attractive, day by day. I think the hardest part is just getting started.

· Registered
2,111 Posts
Yep, goals and passion. It really helps to have a training partner too.

I think I'm developing a passion for basketball, working out (motivation wise) is easy most of the time, except I sometimes have to deal with people. You get peeps playing basketball who have an attitude and are extra cocky. Sometimes, I don't wanna deal with them, but my love for the game overrides that.

· Registered
22 Posts
Do it in the morning first thing every day. That way you won't have an excuse to procrastinate, and it will help your mood for the rest of your day.

Motivational pictures help me. Either negative, like some fat slob I never want to be, or positive like a pic of Arnold, or some hot chick I might have a chance with if I keep working out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.