Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know what it is. i yawn a lot throughout the day. im not sleepy. my eyes are burning like when you dont get enough sleep but im not sleepy. ive been meaning to get it checked out but i just hate going to the doctors. a few years ago i was supposed to have some sleep studies done to rule out sleep apnea. never did them. now i wonder if

·
Registered
256 Posts
I yawn when I am nervous + around people, a whole lot. Not just when I am nervous or when I am around people but under both circumstances. Can't explain it any better than that. Might just be a nervous reaction.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I read somewhere that yawning is the brain's way of cooling it'self when it gets overheated. It sends fresh oxygen to the brain faster or something.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I think yawning is just a coping mechanism (isn't there another term for this?).

I started having SAD symptoms suddenly about a year ago. One of the most stressful things for me was talking on the phone (esp. for anything more than a short phone call) and every time I had a long conversation I would start yawning every minute or so.

As far as the eyes, being on the computer for long periods of time (i.e. playing video games) and stress both seem to give me bloodshot eyes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
it still amazes me how much i can relate to people on here. um, i seem to cough and yawn on purpose in certain social situations like even walking down the street, maybe it's to cover my mouth even for a second?

·
Registered
928 Posts
it still amazes me how much i can relate to people on here. um, i seem to cough and yawn on purpose in certain social situations like even walking down the street, maybe it's to cover my mouth even for a second?
I do this! and have thought the same. I dont know why I yawn so much. I sometimes even force a yawn?:sus

·
Registered
71 Posts
I do this! and have thought the same. I dont know why I yawn so much. I sometimes even force a yawn?:sus
well personally, going everyday trying to hide my sa and nervousness, it leaves me so exhausted so that's probably why i do it. but i also do it on purpose to make myself seem more comfortable, dunno why.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
I actually remember reading in a Popular Science article one time that Yawns are contagious and if you yawn around a vertebrate, or somehow implant the idea of a yawn into a person's brain they will feel compelled to yawn themself.

·
The Phoenix
381 Posts
They did a show on yawning being contagious on Myth Busters. :D
Greatest show EVER. I would love to have their job! Getting paid to blow stuff up?! Sign me up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts