Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone does this alot when they're nervous...or for any other time for that matter.
How do you stop it?
Recently, I've started chewing off the skin on my lips when I'm nervous which gave me the appearance of really dry lips.

Now, I've started sucking my lips in more when I'm nervous and biting on the inside flesh instead.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I do this too, my lips are always cracked and raw. I thought this might have something to do with dermatillomania (skin picking) as I pick my fingers till they bleed and I pick my scalp. Do you pick or chew skin anywhere else?
For me I dont do this when Im nervous but when Im more relaxed or deep in thought, off in the clouds!

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
For me I dont do this when Im nervous but when Im more relaxed or deep in thought, off in the clouds!
:yes ^

I've been doing it for years, and every time I notice I'm doing it I try to stop, but it's too much of an accessible habit to quit. At least with smoking cigarettes you have to go through a process in order to light up the cig and inhale, so you have more of an opportunity to quit (unless your sleepwalking).

I also bite the inside walls of my mouth, and pick my fingernails. The only nails on my hands that I cut with a clipper are my pinky and ring finger on my right hand.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I do this too, my lips are always cracked and raw. I thought this might have something to do with dermatillomania (skin picking) as I pick my fingers till they bleed and I pick my scalp. Do you pick or chew skin anywhere else?
I've been doing this since I was a kid. I once found a forum for people who do this and apparently it's very hard to quit. Some people have a hard time getting the skin on their lips to heal properly. Is this related to SA?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts