Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you believe in evolution, you must believe in survival of the fittest. Stated another way, it is the belief that any trait that helps an organism reproduce will survive, and anything that doesn't help will die out.

Then why do you have social anxiety? This is apparently the trait that makes most people scared of human interaction. It makes people have low self esteem. And worse, it makes people intensely scared of rejection of the opposite sex, so much so that they won't even attempt to reproduce.

According to the Theory of evolution, this disorder would be the first to be eliminated. The fact that it hasn't been eliminated is proof that evolution is not real.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You assume that anyone with social anxiety won't reproduce; you are grouping all SA into an extreme version, in which no one interacts with the opposite sex. Also, you can't say that evolution isn't real on the basis of SA; what if there were alot more people with SA 100 years ago than now, and people with SA are in the process of being eliminated? Also, this kind of assumes that once the last person with SA dies, then SA will never occur on the planet, which is pretty absurd as it's not all genetic.

·
banana enthusiast
7,078 Posts
There's always a range (distribution) of individuals with various anxiety levels. If you select against the ones at the high end of the anxiety spectrum, the result is that you create a new distribution centred at a lower anxiety level. But you will always have individuals who have higher anxiety than the average. Social anxiety only has meaning in relation to the mainstream society. Socially anxious people are already much more social than most animals, but we are still less social than the average in human society.

Plus social anxiety is not completely genetic, but is dependent on our individual environment also.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evolution is an ongoing process...
Hominids have existed for approx 10 million years. I think the process should have worked by now. I can't think of any advantage in having social anxiety. Do you think that back in the caveman days, women would be impressed by a man who was lacking confidence, being timid around others?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You assume that anyone with social anxiety won't reproduce;
But I was taught in school that giraffes have long necks because they had a slight advantage in eating more leaves that were high up. So after X amount of years, all giraffes had extremely long necks. If this theory is true, social anxiety would have been wiped out long ago.

·
Hazy
1,114 Posts
You're just trying to stir a ridiculous debate or truly have no idea what evolution and SA are about. SA still exist because it's a defect or a product of your upbringing or both. It has nothing to do with evolution. Anyway it's not like people with SA don't reproduce, there's a lot of parents on this forum. And genetically speaking, your parents don't need to have SA for you to have it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you believe in evolution, you must believe in survival of the fittest. Stated another way, it is the belief that any trait that helps an organism reproduce will survive, and anything that doesn't help will die out.

Then why do you have social anxiety? This is apparently the trait that makes most people scared of human interaction. It makes people have low self esteem. And worse, it makes people intensely scared of rejection of the opposite sex, so much so that they won't even attempt to reproduce.

According to the Theory of evolution, this disorder would be the first to be eliminated. The fact that it hasn't been eliminated is proof that evolution is not real.
It's not proof of anything. Things don't have to be perfect to survive and reproduce, they just have get along well enough to do so. Most of us would probably be more successful in a society resembling the ones we evolved in(tribal societies, where everybody know everybody). Also humans are unique among the animals in that we are successful to the extreme. Human population does not stay steady it has done nothing but increase over time(cept for a plague here or there) humans moreso than any other animal can survive and reproduce even if we are rather crappy examples of our species. Finding a single supposed flaw in a theory(which in this case what you pointed out was not a flaw in the theory) does not automatically discredit the whole theory. Saying birds can fly, thus gravity is wrong is just plain ignorant.

Don't you have any better to do than post a bunch of useless threads in the science and atheism forum. Since you obviously have no genuine interest in science, which the exception of posting bogus crap against theories you don't believe in simple because you don't want them to be true.

Funny how people don't protest scientific theories unless they go against a persons predetermined wordview. You don't hear any protest form the anti-science folks against quantum mechanics, yet quantum mechanics is far more radical than evolution or global warming.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't you have any better to do than post a bunch of useless threads in the science and atheism forum.
why do you keep reading and responding to them then? It's your choice.

You don't hear any protest form the anti-science folks against quantum mechanics, yet quantum mechanics is far more radical than evolution or global warming.
Evolution doesn't go against my "worldview". I was merely showing evidence against it. However, you seem to protest when things go against your world view.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Hominids have existed for approx 10 million years. I think the process should have worked by now.
You're assuming that there is a target to evolution. There isn't.

One of the biggest flaws is to say one species (like humans) is more evolved than an ancestral species (like say australopithicus). This assumes a goal or target...

To say that elephants are 'more' evolved than mammoths is nonsense. Elephants are more fit in their current environment. But if that environment changed and became cold again, mammoths would likely be the fitter.

There is no target in evolution. It's just constant selection based on a changing environment.

·
Registered
309 Posts
why do you keep reading and responding to them then? It's your choice.

Evolution doesn't go against my "worldview". I was merely showing evidence against it. However, you seem to protest when things go against your world view.
I don't intend to continue, but it hard when you have created more threads in these forums than anyone else.

I was not protesting things going against my world view I was protesting a common problem of people saying theory xyz is entirlly wrong, but their evidence is non-existent or bogus. Their reason for believing the theory is wrong is because they want it to be wrong. If someone has a valid argument based in solid fact against a theory then they should go ahead and argue it using that evidence, thats how science works.

·
Dancing on my own
1,665 Posts
I seriously dont understand how you cannot be banned by now. As far as i can tell every thread you start is meant to provoke, antagonize, and primarily to start stuff. You dont seem to be asking sincere questions at all, you just want someone to argue with, imo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I seriously dont understand how you cannot be banned by now. As far as i can tell every thread you start is meant to provoke, antagonize, and primarily to start stuff. You dont seem to be asking sincere questions at all, you just want someone to argue with, imo.
It's called a DISCUSSION forum, not a everybody-agree-with-everybody forum. If you dont' like my threads, why do you keep reading them and replying to them?

As for asking sincere questions, they are as sincere as it can get. According to evolution, if you have a trait that hinders survival, it would be eliminated. So how can something like social anxiety possibly survive? Most of the people on this forum says it makes it very difficult to find someone to date. If you think that's insincere I don't know what else to say.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's kind of more complicated than that. Anxiety is a mental disorder that is a result of serotonin imbalance in the brain. We will always have that chemical and a chance of having an imbalance of it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

I'm not a biologist and I'm not well-read on evolution at all, but the first thing that came to mind is that human civilization has significantly disrupted the evolutionary process. In any other species, I reckon individuals with our characteristics might be fairly rare from an evolutionary POV.

With continued progress in medicine, I'd expect more and more "weaker" humans to live longer and pass along their genes.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.