Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
everything is a chore..
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a recovering alcoholic, been sober 14years, I still have problems being around others, it's been way too long of seeing everything as a chore. No real joy. I can make it look good in order to go to work, AA meetings or family events. The fear is always under the surface. The constant fear of others and what they think of me is becoming too much, I want my life back.What do I do??

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I dunno feel the same here, I like to think there is only 1 of myself and no-one can be me but me! so why not let that shine through to others. That thought process helps me a little in confrontations with our beings. LoL =)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, MarkH210! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, MarkH210! I have similar feelings; I'm always paranoid about what others are thinking. I'm getting better at that slowly. I have to say, I am sure that people think highly of you for being able to stay sober 14 years after being an alcoholic. My dad is an alcoholic and has been my whole life. He doesn't talk much at all and only "comes out of his shell" when he drinks. So, kudos to you for defeating alcoholism. I wish my dad could, but I don't think he would ever even try. So you should have a lot to feel proud about! :)

·
everything is a chore..
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you...

Hey, MarkH210! I have similar feelings; I'm always paranoid about what others are thinking. I'm getting better at that slowly. I have to say, I am sure that people think highly of you for being able to stay sober 14 years after being an alcoholic. My dad is an alcoholic and has been my whole life. He doesn't talk much at all and only "comes out of his shell" when he drinks. So, kudos to you for defeating alcoholism. I wish my dad could, but I don't think he would ever even try. So you should have a lot to feel proud about! :)
that means alot, using drugs and lots of drinking only gives liquid courage, it always bit me later. I still go to AA meetings 3 times a week, they should be places of fellowship and such, I see it as a panic attack sometimes better then others, i can make it look like I'm not having anxiety at work and meetings but can only do it so long, I have doctor appointment friday. I know what you mean by your dad, seems like anxiety and untreated alcoholism go hand in hand not just for the alcoholic but also the family

·
everything is a chore..
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tip..

I dunno feel the same here, I like to think there is only 1 of myself and no-one can be me but me! so why not let that shine through to others. That thought process helps me a little in confrontations with our beings. LoL =)
I will try that...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
ya i do need help
Anxiety fuels depression.
Work on what makes you anxious - little by little.

For instance, if one is afraid to leave the house, go out to the porch and stand 5 minutes, then go out a few feet, then go get the mail, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a recovering alcoholic, been sober 14years, I still have problems being around others, it's been way too long of seeing everything as a chore. No real joy. I can make it look good in order to go to work, AA meetings or family events. The fear is always under the surface. The constant fear of others and what they think of me is becoming too much, I want my life back.What do I do??
hey there markh,,,, no answers for you - just to say hi from another recovering alcoholic also at 14years,.,, best luck to you and yours,, keep it simple helps me sometimes,.,.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts