Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to keep this thread useful, easy to read, and on-topic, I ask that everyone please follow a few guidelines:

-Please name just 'one' thing. (I realize overcoming SA requres an individually-catared approach, and that there are usually 'many' things that go into it, but I'm looking to find what has helped YOU personally the most out of all the things you've tried. It can be a particular behavioral method such as cbt, or something as simple as something you tell yourself everyday. We are all unique and the sky is the limit on this.)

-If taking a particular drug was the ticket for you, then please list the 'next' best thing that has helped you. (I'm trying to keep the thread focus on behavior, not drugs).

-Please refrain from going off topic, I'd really like this thread to be easy to skim through and helpful to all. (No negative comments please! Thank you!)

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I encourage EVERYONE who views this thread to post one thing. Don't worry about being judged or shy. Even if you're just starting out, I think everyone here can think of something, no matter how small it may seem.

·
Registered
706 Posts
So far?

Took part in CBT. I don't think anything else has yet had quite the same impact. Still that might change.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I basically threw myself into a job where I'm surrounded by extroverts and am pretty much required to be social. As uncomfortable as it was and sometimes still is, it's vastly improved my social skills and confidence. I've still got a long ways to go though. I guess file that under 'exposure.'

·
Registered
407 Posts
Excercise...I always feel less anxious after running 4km.

·
Registered
364 Posts
+1 for Meditation, when I am completely present my social anxiety is almost all gone. What is left can be felt when it arises and quickly recedes back.

Exercise is great as well. Both of them are really a powerful combo.

·
wtf
419 Posts
LOOKING AT PEOPLE and realizing that they are NOT THAT CONCERNED ABOUT ME. Try coming to this conclusion yourself. Their number one concern is themselves. Period. It sounds bad-- "Oh, no one cares about me"-- but anything "bad" can be used to one's advantage. It makes me less self-conscious.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Viewing myself as a normal person, rather than someone who will inevitably stick out wherever I go (easier some days than others)

·
Banned
497 Posts
In order to keep this thread useful, easy to read, and on-topic, I ask that everyone please follow a few guidelines:

-Please name just 'one' thing. (I realize overcoming SA requres an individually-catared approach, and that there are usually 'many' things that go into it, but I'm looking to find what has helped YOU personally the most out of all the things you've tried. It can be a particular behavioral method such as cbt, or something as simple as something you tell yourself everyday. We are all unique and the sky is the limit on this.)

-If taking a particular drug was the ticket for you, then please list the 'next' best thing that has helped you. (I'm trying to keep the thread focus on behavior, not drugs).

-Please refrain from going off topic, I'd really like this thread to be easy to skim through and helpful to all. (No negative comments please! Thank you!)

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I encourage EVERYONE who views this thread to post one thing. Don't worry about being judged or shy. Even if you're just starting out, I think everyone here can think of something, no matter how small it may seem.
the one thing that ive done that has helped my SA the most is :

*acquired as much knowledge as possible about SA, life , the human mind, human behvaiour

ive studied so many books on nlp to learn about the human mind and human behvaiour, ive studied so many kabbalah books to learn about life and ive read gillian butlers book overcoming social anxiety and shyness at least 10 times

having all of that knowledge teaches you that there is nothing wrong with you, you are not a loser , and you are not the only one livinglike this. when you have all of the neccesary knowledge you gain a certain percpetibve on your situation , a p[erspective that allows you to accept yourself and your lfe and your SA and to actually be grateful for it. this the foundation for change

before you try to overcome SA you must reach the point were you want change for the right reason, you accept your sa , you appreciate your sa , and you take responsibility for it . but without the right knowledge you can never reach that plce therefoe when you try to change you will always fail cos youhavent built the nessecary foundationsto begin chnge with

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
It helps a lot when I go to sleep. If I could just stay asleep and only have brief periods of consciousness every now and then so I could know that sleeping is good, that would be lovely.

When I awake (at whatever time that may be), I've got a good two to three hours to feel relieved before the crap starts to build again.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Exposure through my job and paxil.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Getting a job that requires constant human interaction. I went from being practically a mute to being able to have a decent conversation with people. Sometimes I even start conversations, which I used to never be able to do.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
keeping busy the less time I have to think about my problems the better.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I forced myself to get out and be around people more. If you do it everyday, eventually it just becomes natural.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Journaling helps to. It's fun to write about new expierences so you kind of can't wait to challenge yourself even if it was a bad time.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts