Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be one of those who wanted to fit in and admired many around me. Now as an adult it's literally the opposite. I see through everyone's facade and place no value in trying to have a relationship with them.

Not that I feel that I'm above them, I just don't like them. Most people are fake and full of crap. Even the ones I do like, if I spend more and more time with them they start to aggravate me as well. It's not a good way to live life but I can't help the way i feel.

Is there a mental condition named after this problem? I was trying to look it up but the ones I came across all have symptoms of wanting to hurt others and become a problem in society. Which is not me at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to be one of those who wanted to fit in and admired many around me. Now as an adult it's literally the opposite. I see through everyone's facade and place no value in trying to have a relationship with them.

Not that I feel that I'm above them, I just don't like them. Most people are fake and full of crap. Even the ones I do like, if I spend more and more time with them they start to aggravate me as well. It's not a good way to live life but I can't help the way i feel.

Is there a mental condition named after this problem? I was trying to look it up but the ones I came across all have symptoms of wanting to hurt others and become a problem in society. Which is not me at all.
It's called IcantstandfakepeopleITIS.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you saw them differently before, then you will admit that a large part of the problem is what you want to see in them. I'm not saying that either view is more correct, but I think there's an element of you actively looking for external causes to your internal turmoil. It's very easy to label someone as fake if you willingly ignore that a certain amount of fakeness is necessary to lubricate social relationships. Otherwise communication would be impossible.

·
Failure's Art
2,045 Posts
@tigerblood - I feel similarly a lot of the time. Not sure what you're describing could be classified as a mental illness or personality disorder, it just sounds like a form of misanthropy to me.

·
Super Moderator
33,904 Posts
Maybe it's just personal preference? People are different. Maybe people just annoy you and that's really all there is to it?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
It's very easy to label someone as fake if you willingly ignore that a certain amount of fakeness is necessary to lubricate social relationships. Otherwise communication would be impossible.
It really wouldn't. Are you seriously arguing that dishonesty helps with communicating clearly? That's some doublethink.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Would you want your teachers or any person in customer service to be outwardly dismissive of you when they're having a bad day?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Would you want your teachers or any person in customer service to be outwardly dismissive of you when they're having a bad day?
Yes actually, I understand someone still has to work those ****ty jobs for a while before they get replaced by robots but I know how soul-crushing it is to have to pretend that you really want to be there and that you genuinely care about the customer. Especially when everyone involved - employee, boss and customer - knows that those jobs are depressing wage-slavery for people with few other options. The pretense is frankly disgusting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts