Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of registering for a course in something like beginers tennis at the community college to get more involved socially. After all, it would force me out regular, provide a physical outlet, and an environment with other people that would provide a common goal (to play/learn) the game of course. However, the bad part to this is that it will involve a lot of performance--playing a sport is hard for me with my SA because it opens up major opportunities to be judged. After all, thats what sports are about, performance. So if I turn out to be horrible, I will feel judged and extremely embarassed. But if it turns out I am even semi-successful, I would be extremely satisfied. Is it a chance I should take? I'd like to hear others expereinces about trying to "put themselves out there."

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd go for it. If your taking a beginners course no one will be expecting you to play like a pro and you will be playing with other beginners so you will be just as good as the other people there so that can't really judge you.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been thinking of enrolling in something along those lines at my gym. There's all sorts of sports stuff and excercise classes there...

My councellor at the university said it might be easier to form relationships with people if I did something with them rather than just talking, which makes sense since I am useless at talking.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I did volleyball. it was easy and fun, and we went out afterwards and stuff. but I didnt really bond with them that much, so there wasnt any friendship formed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would say go for it, last year we had pickup volleyball/basketball games..I was terrible at basketball so stuck with volleyball...I didn't really meet that many people but It was a great confidence boost when messing around with a volley ball witha few people in my hall and they said "franklyn! Since when did you learn how to set!?"

Overall its good to play a sport and makes me feel better all around, no matter how I preformed..and If someone calls you out on something say what I would say "Thats why I'm here."(this hasn't occurred yet)

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts